BootsnAll Travel Network



Quick Ethiopia Update

I came to Ethiopia because I thought it would be different than everywhere else on earth.  I am absolutely sure of that now that I have completed the northern circuit which took me to the historical, cultural and holy sites for Ethiopia and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  Technology is primitive here so I will skip more details for now, but suffice to say that I am loving this country and its people.  Tomorrow I am in Addis Ababa where I might get to see another queen – Condi Rice who arrived today.  Today’s hotel has CNN and it is very strange to see the rest of the world from within Ethiopia.  Maybe Bhutan or Burma will take me somewhere as removed from the rest of the world, but I am not sure of that.

On another front, I am very, very happy that Iran is not pursuing nuclear weapons.  I had scratched Israel, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, possibly Yemen and possibly Iran from my list for anytime before late summer 2008 (thinking Bush can’t bomb someone else “pre-emptively” that late in his career).  It makes more sense for me to ease out of Africa into Mideast and then on to India and the rest of Asia assuming I do ease out of Africa.  There was no way that I was going to be caught in Syria waking up to bomber news so this opens up some options.

The next two weeks will be spent doing the southern circuit of Ethiopia which is a whole other planet.  That circuit focuses on the tribal peoples that are famous for body decorations like huge earlobes and extended lips as well as makeup.  It will be a strange transition from the faithful of the north to the animists of the south.  We also leave the beautiful highlands and head for the tropics.  Many nights will be very remote with camping rather than hotels so my communication will really be limited.  Going from these next two weeks back to USA will really be a twist of the mind, but I am looking forward to a brief break before 2008.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Quick Ethiopia Update”

  1. kathy c says:

    Rick: My experience in Addis Ababa in 1975 was an life “eye opening” experience. I was on that Global Odyssey tripand was looking for a Congolese cross- the style used by the Order Ecumenical. I finally found one in the market, but it was made with poorly and had the sharp edges all around sticking out from where it was poured into a mold. I thanked the seller for showing me it but declined to purchase it – whereupon he slapped me in the face! (6 weeks later Ethopia travel was restricted by the USA when 6 Americans were attacked) I did get a beautifully crafted and less expensive cross at the school for the blind (and possibly other handicaps) there in the city. That was under Haille Selassi (aparrently a savoir figure to the rastafanarians); so I imagine Ethopia today is quite changed! Looking forward to your accout about Condie’s visit!

  2. David Faucher says:

    Rick,nrnrI think that it is so great that you are stillnrfollowing this path – I check in every now and then – KEEP GOINGnrnrDavid

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *