BootsnAll Travel Network



Out of One Jungle and In To Another

This is a just brief update to let you know that I have safely returned from Central African Republic and I am now in Douala, Cameroon.  Shocking to go from the Congo Jungle to this Concrete Jungle of 3.5 million.  I am not ready to tell you about the experiences of the past two weeks, but I can tell you that they are probably the best and most rewarding of this whole trip.  I need a little time, rest and distance before I can possibly explain it and I just hope that I can find the words.  Right now I am eating a breakfast of fresh juice, French pastries and real coffee surrounded by beautiful Cameroonian women with a beautiful Kenyan woman arriving this evening and it is all a bit strange.  Three of us spent Thursday, my birthday, with the gorillas for over two hours and that was just a minor highlight of the adventure compared to the week spent with the Ba’Aka people in their rainforest.  I have seen who we all were thousands of years ago and it was better than getting in any time machine.  I brought back a little creature in my belly and I need some R&R with Pamela to get back to normal.  The team I accompanied was absolutely fantastic and new and lasting friendships have been made sharing one amazing experience.

In a nutshell, I can only say that I am very happy that I totally burned myself out doing this trip.  It meant enough to me as soon as Rod invited me to go through the continental ping-pong after a long month in Ethiopia and I am not disappointed by my decisions.  Just very tired.  The next month will be at a slower pace with some good beach time and quality time with Pam while we check out the interesting peoples of yet another complicated country, Cameroon.  It should be quite interesting and it will be FUN.  Stay tuned…



Tags: , , ,

3 responses to “Out of One Jungle and In To Another”

  1. Bebe says:

    Enoy Pam and the beach. Belated Happy Birthday. Sounds as though it was one you will always remember!

  2. kathy C says:

    Am looking forward to hear about you Congo Jungle experiences. It is so nice to see things through your eyes!

  3. Nanette says:

    Glad you’ve returned safely. What a birthday! I can’t imagine that you’ll ever have another like it. You’re unstoppable! Nanette

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *