BootsnAll Travel Network



Off the Rock

One of the best moments of my travels was arriving in Panama this evening.  I escaped the prison I call Bacu.  For those struggling what country is Bacu… too bad, you´ll have to think harder (and play with the name)!  Last night was ended on a high note drinking at a couple of bars with Brits Sarah and Kim and American Jeff.  Many laughs which I needed very badly.  I have a lot to say about that crappy little country and I will do so from Colombia where I will have wi-fi in my room.  For tonight, I just need to decompress. 

A couple of notes…  I loved getting to Panama City which reminds me much of Miami because there is so much in-your-face capitalism.  I don´t really like this city because of that, but what a nice sight after hellish communism, land of zero choices.  I have never really discussed all the crazy things you see at intersections on busy roads in cities, but they can always be interesting.  Except of course in Bacu where no one has the gumption to do something interesting with the ever-changing, captive audience.  Here in Panama, we were stopped and a yound man stepped out in front of the cars and started to juggle fire.  He was really good and it was pretty dangerous.  He bowed as the light got ready to change and then walked around collecting change.  I gave him $2 which put a big smile on his face because I was so happy to see someone do something fun for some money.  Bacu only offers stupid-ass attempts to ¨befriend¨ you for money or drinks, sell you cigars or their bodies or just ask for money for nothing and they are always obnoxious about all of these rituals.  Even the Panamanian hookers are a sight for sore eyes.  They walk by looking good and proud and smile at you without throwing themselves at you.  You can smile back or ignore them and nothing else needs to go on.  People are happy here and no one is looking over their shoulder for the policia.  Damn!  This is my kind of country!  I say yes for freedom of choice!  I hope Bacu can get there someday, but I am very pessimistic about how that is going to happen and how long it will take.  It´s much more complicated than TBO dying or the regime changing.

Tomorrow I fly to a new continent!!!  I am very excited about this!  Galapagos Islands in ten days!!!  I already feel my Bacu depression fading away…



Tags: ,

-3 responses to “Off the Rock”

  1. Bebe says:

    Thanks for the tip – got Bacu!!
    Can’t wait to hear about the Galapogos – I think that will be summer after next with Jessica’s youngest brother Andrew.

    Have a great time and takes LOTS of photos. Marion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *