BootsnAll Travel Network



Nocturnal Hummingbird?

So I am sitting on my veranda this beautiful evening in Puerto Escondido processing my Oaxacan photos (which I will try to post this week) and I head some squeaking.  I thought it was just one of the many geckos that I have become accustomed so I didn’t bother to look up until something buzzed my head.  I thought it was one of the giant moths which I have seen the geckos attack in teams, but it turned out to be a hummingbird.  It’s nighttime and the hummingbird is using my light to pick off bugs.  It had the geckos scurrying every time it passed by.  This has been going on for an hour and we are now bug-free.  The geckos need a new gig.  I pulled out the video camera and stood up on the bench and the hummingbird flew within a few inches of my hands and head.  Some of you have probably heard of my other close encounters with hummingbirds in my garden including one taking a shower under my hose nozzle and then sitting on the nozzle while it was in my hand.  I thought tonight’s visitor was going to land on the camera.  The video probably isn’t very good because he was too close and fast, but I will get a good laugh out of it when I process it someday.  I will never tire of hummingbirds.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *