BootsnAll Travel Network



Monday is a Holiday

What holiday?  Well, here in Argentina where we appear to be living in the past… way past… at times, it is the annual celebration of the Falkland Islands War.  In fact, it is the 25th anniversary.  Unbeknownst to me, next week isn´t just Easter week, but it is extra special with a war celebration to kick things off.  I have a plane ticket to Iguazu Falls this Sunday well ahead of the holiday or so I thought and suddenly found no hotels available.  I´m getting a bit ahead of myself on this one since there are more important things to talk about, but I thought you would like to know that Argentina still claims the Malvina Islands (Falklands included) and there are times when they truly still believe that they are theirs.  Maybe they should be?  I don´t know nor do I care because the people on those islands want to belong to Britain, Argentina could have gone about re-acquiring them in a more diplomatic fashion and THEY LOST THE WAR 25 YEARS AGO… TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!  I did manage to find a room after some nervous hours and I will be at the falls on Monday not celebrating or thinking about the Falkland Islands.  I do remember being a senior in high school and thinking about how stupid Argentina was when they hit a UK ship with a missle.  That´s dumber than kidnapping fifteen UK soldiers from your neighbors territory!!!  Just looking for trouble and if you try hard enough you will find it. 

 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070329/lf_afp/britainfalklandsargentinawar_070329163203



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *