BootsnAll Travel Network



Mi Nombre Es Rick… Richard… Ricardo

There is one experience that has been consistent in Latin America for me. When I am asked my name, I usually say “Rick” in plain English. I get a funny look. They do not understand. First, the “i” said in English manner does not exist in Spanish. Second, they do not get the shortened name of “Rick”. I refuse to say it in Spanish manner “Reek” for obvious reasons and they still would not understand this shortened version.

So, then I say “Richard” and they go “ah, Richard”. It is a name even said in English that they understand a little. They may say “Reechard”, but they get it enough for us to carry on. But I don`t leave it at that and I say “Ricardo” (well, actually, “Reecardo”) and their eyes light up, a smile appears on their face and they say “AHHHHH, REECARDO!” This scenario is played out close to 100% of the time over the last six months in every country visited. I have fun with it because it is so predictable, it is a fairly touching exercise in bridging two cultures and it only results in smiles by both parties.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *