BootsnAll Travel Network



Last Leg

What I am trying to do is quite complicated.  I can tell you that it is the most complex thing I have ever done.  The logistics are difficult.  How to piece together the whole world in some meaningful and workable manner.  When things fall apart, I have to pick up the pieces and I just did that with Patagonia.  Not only do I have to think about what I am doing tomorrow and the next day, but I have to start managing the next leg (in this case it will be August through December and shaping up as Brazil, Africa and Madagascar… roughly).  And I also have to send up trial balloons about other legs of the trip and see what sticks over time.  I have planned to see Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific as the final leg. 

Chile fell through on this leg although I will probably see northern Chile in a couple of weeks on my way to Bolivia.  Patagonia fell apart for the most part.  I decided to skip Mendoza – Argentinian wine country.  I am now interested in Falkland Islands and Easter Island, but they don´t work for me now.  After almost getting on a boat for Antarctica while in Ushuaia because I was so close except the final tours of the year were on their way back to Ushuaia, I have now decided that I want to see the biggest chunk of ice on earth with all of its wildlife.  So…

The final leg of my trip curently planned for January, 2009 (got any idea what you are doing in two years?  I thought not… see how difficult my life is 🙂 ) is Chile from Santiago to Puntas Arena including kaying fjords, Ruta 40 in Argentina including Fitz Roy, Cuevas de Las Manos, Bariloche and Mendoza, Peninsula Valdes to see Orcas eating sea lions and penguins in the surf, Falkland Islands to see penguins and sheep, Antarctica to the real end of the world and seventh continent, Easter Island and still ending with Australia, New Zealand and some outrageously nice islands in the South Pacific.



Tags: , , ,

One response to “Last Leg”

  1. Bebe says:

    Am glad you have decided to figure out how to see the Falklands and Antartica. The best penguin adventures I had were in the Falklands and Antartica is not to be missed. Especially when the wind blows over 100 MPH.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *