BootsnAll Travel Network



Frankfurt, Germany

Trying to catch up… Headed to the Jo’Burg airport in a few minutes to go to Zanzibar, Tanzania, but I have a few thoughts on Frankfurt.  Last weekend the city was decked out for the World Cup.  A large ceremony was set up on the river banks presumably for that evening.  I found the city to be much nicer than I expected (generally, I am not a big fan of large European cities).  I walked around the old section and the shopping district.  The weather was overcast and drizzly – what else would one expect in Northern Europe.  I did the chocolate scene eating ice cream, cake and coffee and chocolates followed by some bratwurst and beer.  OK, not a well-balanced meal day, but my clock was all screwed up.  Found the street-side cafes to be very nice.  The shopping was very high-end.  The highlights being a watch store where Cartier and Rolex were very low-end and The Mercedes Spot where folks eat inside the showroom.  The most expensive watch in the store window only went for 96,000 Euros and I didn’t see much gold or diamonds if any on it.  Hundreds of Swiss watches with names I have never heard for more than 10,000 Euros.  I thought a $15,000 Rolex is extremely ridiculous!  The Mercedes cars being shown all looked fairly normal to me except they had price tags between 75,000 and 150,000 Euros.  I only make note of these outrageous items because of the comparison between the Haves in the north and the Have-Nots that I have seen already in Africa.  With all the smiling faces I saw in Mozambique (more later), I wonder if all the wealth that we are accustomed to (actaully, I’m not sure I know anyone accustomed to $150,000 watches) has made us just as happy and easy-going.  Wil I trade in my former and future life to be a Have-Not?  No.  But I will continue to report back about the amount of spirit in the folks that we may think of as “the poor chaps”.  Considering I am on a totally HAVE trip to Africa, I will do my best to try to see beyond my wealthy prism.  I look very much forward now to my three weeks working with the Ugandans to get a more accurate picture on things.  I am already learning a lot about the situation in South Africa as well as other African countries and I can only say now that is very complicated.  Much more so than I think we understand in our comfortable digs.  As the saying goes, don’t believe everything you read (including what is reported by me!).  Off to the Jo’Burg airport in a few minutes for Zanzibar – the island of sultans and spices.



Tags: , , ,

0 responses to “Frankfurt, Germany”

  1. Terry & DiAnn says:

    Hi Rick, sounds like you’re having a great time so far. I always thought Frankfurt was a pretty nice big city so glad to see you agree. And lots of good looking women.

    DiAnn and I are having a wonderful time in SF. We’re been here a week now and are really getting around. We bought a monthly muni pass that lets us go all over the place. The California street cable car is very convenient, right outside our front door.

    Lots of restaurants so far and nothing bad. Yesterday was a wonderful Italian wine and food tasting at Fort Mason so we walked over. Lots of walking so far. My blood sugar is much lower but no weight loss. Oh well.

    Terry

  2. kathey C says:

    Hey Rick, I was there for 2 weeks back in the 70’s when the Wall was still dividing Berlin and we had to spend almost 5 hours going through the checkpoints in and out of East Germany to travel the relatively short distance from Berlin to Fankfurt! I’m sure you’re seeing a quite different Germany today. Glad you got to experience to much!

  3. Ken says:

    Rick posted:
    “I did the chocolate scene eating ice cream, cake and coffee and chocolates followed by some bratwurst and beer. OK, not a well-balanced meal day, but my clock was all screwed up.”

    Who are you trying to kid?! You’ve got the four basic food groups covered: Ice cream/cake, chocolates, bratwurst and beer! That’s balance if I ever heard it… for a vacation. 🙂

    $150,000 watches? Yeesh! I’m not that into time…

    Have fun,
    Ken

  4. Bryan Bousquet aka Ralph says:

    Hi Rick!

    It seems that your start has been all you expected and more… let us know if we can send more soccer balls or bags for you! The differences can be shocking, but while they are drastic, it is not uncommon when you leave our safe borders.

    I hope that the smiling faces and sultans and spices continue to inspire you. I do not know how we will be able to match up to some of the flavors and spices you will have the chance to experience. We want all of the sordid food details!

    Til the next installment, we love you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *