BootsnAll Travel Network



Fin del Mundo

End of the World… Tierra del Fuego, Argentina and Chile.  I am in Urushaia, Argentina one of the most southerly places on earth.  It is the end of the world because this is the furthest migration from Africa.  It feels like it, too.  Urushuaia reminds me of Juneau, Alaska.  My first day here was spent on an outing to see penguins near Estancia Haberton.  We took a bus and then a boat to an island in Beagle Channel (named after the boat Darwin sailed on).  There were two kinds of penguins to entertain us – Magellanic and Gentoo.  The surrounding mountains with galciers and snow, waterways and forests are beautiful.  The leaves are starting to change.  Fitting considering it is the first day of autumn.  Sunset was after 8:00 PM – first time I have seen that since last June in Vermont.  The weather exists here.  One minute it is raining the next it is sunny.  The temperatures are cool… maybe cold for someone who has been in warm weather for months.  My alpaca sweater from Peru is holding up well to it.  Hiking and kayaking in Tierra del Fuego National Park tomorrow.  More paddling the next day at a lake.  Lots of activities here and it feels really good to be out of the city and back to nature.  The end of the planet is really nice…



Tags: , ,

One response to “Fin del Mundo”

  1. Anita Fiorillo says:

    Rick – I loved those penguins – I wish you had time this trip to go to Torres del Paine in Chile – it’s amazing – but you are seeing a lot. Your move to Argentina came so fast I didn’t have time to send you to see the ultimate in multi-cultural interchange – my cousin Tyler Field from Sebastopol, CA who is 6’9″ and plays basketball for Obras – an Argentinian A league team – and is married to a much shorter Arg. woman we envy you – loved the photos from PerunrnrAnita

  2. Bebe says:

    I loved the Beagle Channel also. Wish I had had more time in Urushaia but it was the jump off point for Antartica. That part of the world is ALMOST as delightful as the plains of Africa …. but not quite!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *