BootsnAll Travel Network



Dead End

I am in Arequipa, Peru now.  I have a few stories to tell and since today ended up being a no-go due to my first airplane cancellation (Arequipa to Cusco supposedly due to weather, but the weather is perfect… go figure), I will do some writing.  The plan was to go to Cusco in order to get into the Amazon, but I was surprised to discover that Manu NP is closed until April due to the rainy season.  Uh oh!  So, I am currently toying with the idea of jumping to Buenos Aires and then working my way north to Bolivia (also rainy season now) and back to Peru before going to Brazil in May.  This is such a big change in the plan that I need a little time to decide.

I missed Nazca Lines because I got sick in Lima and needed three days to get back to normal and I may go there before flying out of the country.  I hate to miss that site and it does not really fit into later plans.  Cusco will provide a couple of days to get my act together.  I have been traveling the last week with my friend, Mark (met in Mexico City, Puerto Escondido and Cartagena), and we were suppose to go to Manu together.  We may end up splitting up again based on this change in plans.

I just looked up Marlin Lodge in Mozambique and it turns out that the fantastic place I started this adventure at in June of last year was wiped out by the cyclone.  Fortunately, the employees and local residents only had minor injuries.  They will be closed for the next ten months which gives us an idea about how badly the facilities were damaged.  Hopefully, I won’t have to read about other disasters to places I have visited for a while.  I made some stupid remark about earthquakes this past week while trekking in Colca Canyon and the local guide did not find it funny.  The people in Colca live in mud huts beneath giant mountains and cliffs of large boulders and earthquakes are a regular occurence.  A regular deadly occurence.  I’m usually pretty careful about these kinds of comments especially in places living on the edge like Peru.  What might be a way to live with potential disaster in places like California is certainly not humorous somewhere like Peru where natural disasters have been extremely deadly.  I’ll tell you more about this living on the edge in Peru soon…



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *