BootsnAll Travel Network



Capitalism – Alive and Well in Islamic World

I just read that Osama is telling us to give up capitalism. This is quite humorous to me since it appears to be working quite well in Morocco, I saw it in action in East Africa last year and the muslim world in general seems to be famous for everything capatilism such as their medinas and souks and caravans of traders. I also can’t quite remember reading about examples of socialism, communism or other isms taking hold in any of the muslim countries. Maybe he is running some nice social programs from his cave?

I have not seen anything pro-Osama or pro-extremism in Morocco, but it is quite possible the king has that stuff banned. I am seeing a lot of Bob Marley tee-shirts and that makes me smile. I also have not encountered anything anti-American – only people happy to meet us and a couple of people who have no clue where I am from when I say USA, United States, America, Americano, California, Estados Unitos, Etats-Unis or Land of George Bush. I cringed when I got to the last one. Maybe in a country with such a low literacy rate I should not expect geography or politics to be well understood.

I did see Mr Bush today. In the Marrakesh medina I saw a “toy” train track with George riding the locomotive tank pushing a cart with Osama on top. Cute.

Speaking of US presidents, I met a wood artisan today who was visited in the early 80s by Ronald and Nancy Reagan. He had pictures showing them trying to open one of his magic boxes. His father had taught him how to make fine wood products and he had his ten year old son zorking for him now. His son was on the ground using a bow with the string wrapped around a wood rod. The rod was mounted between two metal pegs forming a simple lathe. As he sawed back and forth with the bow, the rod turned. In his left hand he held a chisel which carved the rod into ornate pieces. He controled the chisel using his left foot. He is a master already. The son knew very little English, but the father is teaching him French and will work on English lessons soon. They never asked me to buy anything (maybe you have to be here to understand this wonder), were proud to be photographed and the boy produced and gave me a simple turned rod of cedar as a gift.

I allowed myself to be pulled into a carpet shop today because the owner had me laughing. He did not believe that I am homeless. He told his “better than a brother” that he sweared to God that I would buy a carpet before I left. I told him that he needed to go back on that one or lightning might hit soon. He soon understood that I was serious about no home and that I had no intention of buying anything. They are better than brothers because their mother is not the same woman. His old father who was sleeping in the corner had four wives and twenty-five children. We laughed about his need for sleep. We shared a lot of laughs especially about why any sane man would want more than one wife. I don’t think they were too disappointed about spending time with this non-buyer.

The “big square” in Marrakesh is a crazy place especially at night. There are some horrible animal exploitation sights such as monkeys on chains, lizards and squirrels tied to each other with strings, beautiful birds of prey with clipped wings and cobras with mouths sewn shut, but it is mainly full of vendors selling food (roasted goat head and boiled snails, anyone?) and musical and comedy acts. There are also women doing very complex henna designs on customers’ hands as well as people selling very strange herbal “remedies”.

Although this is a big tourist town, the main group in the square at night is Moroccans. Head scarfs are common, but most of the women are dressed conservatively Western and the men are generally in jeans and tee-shirts. This is a very liberal city dress-wise compared to other places I have seen this past week and I suppose the amount of tourism has something to do with that. Some of the women are dressed very chic-ly muslim which is quite nice to see and then there is the odd burqa or two thrown in. I have to smile when I see a black burqa with dark sunglasses. Picture: Cousin It!

Tomorrow I plan to once again escape the tourist scene and visit quiet medina alleys where the mid-day light made for wonderful photo and visual opportunities today. There are also souks where locals buy their wares (as opposed to tourist crap). One souk visited today had poultry. I watched a man buy six chickens which were bound together and weighed on an ancient scale. Once he was satisfied (another “free” chicken was added) and he paid, the chickens were handed through a hole to the back of the stall. I went around back and watched one man remove the heads and put the still flopping chickens into a machine with beaters that quickly removed all of the feathers. A second man then took each of the still almost alive poulets and removed their feet and cut out their innards. They were masters. I had no problem ordering chicken for dinner – specifically, chicken tajine with onions, raisins and almonds and it tasted quite good… and fresh!

Although I have to say this is the strqngest country I have visited, Morocco is growing on me. I am glad I placed some brakes on the travel pace and I am absorbing some of Marrakesh. It is sensory overload, but I am learning to sense thoughtfully and not get too carried away with the things that are revolting. I’ll excuse the Moroccans doing horrible things to the animals (although I will not excuse the visitors who like to take photos with these tormented animals… shame on them). I wonder if Osama would get caught up in the excitement and have his photo taken with a chained monkey or if he would buy that train set? Maybe some henna work to go with that new dye job? Rolling Again…



Tags: , ,

3 responses to “Capitalism – Alive and Well in Islamic World”

  1. Julie says:

    Wow, it all sounds wonderful. I just said to Scott that Morroco sounds like one hell of a great place to visit….all the things that you see and describe remind me of so many of the places I visited in Asia. I think of you often and wish I was packed away in your backpack! Have fun, be safe. Miss you. Julie

  2. Bebe says:

    I remember being in a remote part of South Africa and being asked where I was from. When I replied, the woman said “where is the United States?” Really makes you stop and think doesn’t it! Morroco sounds fascinating. Hope you will post some photos.

  3. Kathy C says:

    Dear Rick, I am finally reading this after the later two entries. I am finding your Morroco experiences very fascinating. Much Loveto you and you journey on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *