BootsnAll Travel Network



Snake bites and PAs

December 6th -19th
Arrived back “home” and found out a good friend, Mark, had a serious spider bite. Later we discovered he had actually been bitten on the foot by a nightadder (snake). Luckily it is only slightly venomous so he was just really sick for about 2 weeks and got to keep his foot. Symptons included fever, headaches, shakes, sweats and generally feeling downright crappy…. Oh yeah not to forget the 2 puncture wounds on the side of his foot. He is the main organizer of the festival and I have become his PA (personal assistant), especially while he is sick. A lot of work requiring many hours on the telephone. But as Mark put it “Kathy you are very tenacious” when I said no one had ever called me that, he replied with “it means you never shut-up”…. Yup quite a few people have told me that.

Working as a PA was fun but involved me being busy from 7am to often after 7pm, and running from the festival grounds to the office (since Mark had to prepare all the lights and sound etc and couldn’t leave). Eventually I took over his cell phone and had to field quite a few queries about if the festival was cancelled….. “A new beginning hotline, this is Kathy, how may I help you?”

The heat and humidity in Coffee Bay had been intense and I got a touch of heatstroke one day. Learnt very quickly to keep a bottle of water handy at all times.

The festival starts on the 19th and already (as of the 18th) we have about a hundred people. Lets hope they keep coming.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *