BootsnAll Travel Network



A NEW BEGINNING festival

December 23rd
I can’t believe the festival is over….. After a month of intense work for me and 3yrs of work for Mark, the first of 7 festivals is over.
On the whole it was a success. We had over 110people, everyone who came loved it and had a blast, no fights or serious security issues (except for staff tents being robbed – more on that later). But it wasn’t enough to make money for the non-profit organisation “Aids to Eden”. Perhaps in the years to come the festival will grow in name and size. By 2010 we should hopefully be able to challenge the world record for drumming circles.
I am glad I got to experience and help with it.

Now back tothe robbery. On the first night of the festival at about midnight I went back to my tent utterly exhausted. When I got there I noticed it was open, then I noticed everything was thrown around. I ran back to the festival grounds and the whole staff came to check their tents. Every tent had been hit in some way. Simone (Bomvu manager) had her camera stolen, Jenna (Bomvu chef) was lucky, Mark (Bomvu host and festival director) had a special necklace, shorts and t-shirts stolen – he didn’t have that many to begin with…, Boaz (Bomvu massage and yoga therapist) was hit the hardest, he had his camera, bag, wallet and CDs stolen. He is also a DJ so the CDs were probably the worst. I had everything in my tent pulled out, a bottle of whiskey stolen and my purse stabbed. The funny thing was that they stabbed my purse and went straight through 2 R10 notes, but never found them. On the whole kind of a hectic night.
Unfortunately when things like this happen there is not much the police can do. Everything just sort of evaporates into the hills. Thats when you smile and nod and say “well at least no one was hurt and I can replce everything that was stolen in some way or another….”



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *