BootsnAll Travel Network



Goodbye to Sydney and hello Tasmania

Sunset view from my roof top patio at the hostel in SydenyGrey nurse sharke in the Sydney AqauriumKoala at Wildlife centerHyde Park in SydneySt. Mary’s Cathedral, absolutely amazing. pic does not do it justiceSydney Library, this is a close as they would let me to the actual booksRoyal Australian Navy

After a week in Sydney and walking to almost every part of it, it is time to move on.  I did not buy the Pajero as I was out bid by another buyer, I bid 6500 and they got it for 7000.  I decided that I will go back to my original plan when I got into Oz and go to Tasmania.  I got a flight for $125 one way which is really cheap and I will hang there for a week or two.  From there I will go to Melbourne either by air or overnight ferry (not sure yet).

So let’s back track a bit an let you know what I have been up to.  After my first day i was totally excited about Sydney and it was everything I had hoped for and there is still lots to do.  As I said last time the Navy is in harbour to routines and the ships are been inspected.  On friday they had a big routine in the harbour and I caould see 17 different vessels at the same time.  They did a 21 gun salute and had a fly over with about 10 choppers.  It was really cool to watch.  From there I continued my walk and saw the parliment (provincal) building and decided to go watch. It ws alot smaller than in Edmonton and no one showed up.  There was a guy there talking about global warming but most of the seats were empty, government at work???  From there i went to the Sydney mint and a museum that was an old jail.  Also stopped at the Sydney Library which was not a familar place for me.  I spent some time at the St. Mary’s cathedral which was amazing.  the cathedral is huge and I went into the cript below where there was some amazing architecture.  The cathedral must have 15 different alters and the “ways of the cross” were stunning.  From there I made my way to the Queen Victoria building which is now a big mall full of expensive shops.  I looked around at some computer shops as well.  From there I made my way ot Darling Harbour and to the wildlife world to see some roos, koalas and snakes.  It was pretty cool but I can’t wait to see them in their natural environment.  It got pretty late by that point so I went back to the Opera house to see if I could get somw last minute tickets but it was completely sold out.  Walked back to the hostel and made supper and went to bed fairly early because I was tired from all the walking.    Saturday morning was a naval parade, I have never seen so many dressed in the prper whites, the street were full.  After the parade it didn’t take long for most to be huggung family and some went straight to the pubs in the area.  I went to the Aquarium and was impressed with all the marine life.  You name they had it and I ended up spending way longer than I thought I would.  I walked back thru Hyde park and had to sit there for a while because it was so nice.  Not a place to be at dark but during the day it is really nice.  When I got back to the hostel I had supper with my roommates and discused the vehicle.  They had another person interested and on Monday were all went to get the road worthy check done and then make bids on the vehicle.  Sunday was all about relaxing and I did some tanning on the rooftop patio and drank some rum.  Great day but I guess I should have made it to the beach (next time).  On monday it took all day to get the proper checks done and in the end as I said before I got out bid.  Monday evening we all had supper together and a few drinks.  Tuesday I decided that it was best to get back to my original plan and get to Tassie.  I went into downtown and bought myself a computer (netbook, small travel size) and then back to the hostel to source everything out. Within an hour I had my flight and hostel booked for Thursday and sent an email to Matt in Melbourne asking for his help in buying a vehicle in Melbourne.  Matt got back to me and it should be pretty easy to get something in Melbourne and cheaper than in Sydney.  Tuesday was spent getting everything ready to leave, updating the blog and downloading programs onto the new computer.  I can now make phone calls for free using skype and got a few other things done as well. 

After all that I still need to come back and do the rest of the things around Sydney, like Bondi Beach, Manly and the Blue Mountains, but i guess you can’t do evrything the first time.

That’s about it for what has happened in the last week.  If any of you has skype my skype name is “stevedietrich”.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.