BootsnAll Travel Network



Quays

In Galway we stayed in an eight-bed dorm at the Barnacles hostel. Two of our roommates from Long Island showed early signs of snoring, which was troubling at first, but thankfully everything cleared up later that night. Throughout the wet afternoon we explored the town center. Our hostel was situated right on the main drag, which got pretty crowded.

The city was cool enough. We got our first taste for the Irish College-town vibe. Later I served a gourmet hostel meal I have been perfecting over the past seven days. Then, stuffed with broccoli and pasta, we left to see a traditional Irish music and dancing show that someone had recommended to us. It was an intimate theater and we got lucky and scored some seats up close. The group of 8 amazingly talented musicians played traditional Irish songs from hundreds of years ago to contemporary folk reels. The show was a perfect way to experience some authentic Irish music.

The next day we did the obligatory church and castle thing, saw Irish Army dudes surrounding a bank for some reason, relaxed at a park, and then enjoyed another round of my broccoli-spaghetti delight. That night we got a good spot outside of Taafes Pub along the main drag and people watched over some Guinness. Two German dudes, Ludwig and Winkler, asked to share the table with us and we obliged. We covered the important topics with them until it was time to head back and get some sleep for our big travel day coming up.

All was going well until 2 drunk Spaniards stumbled in and passed out. Within 4 minutes, they were producing a voluminous sound I didn’t realize the human sinus cavity was capable of. It was horrible, and no matter how many times the rest of us woke them up, the horror persisted.
However, we did find humor in the situation when our French roommate attempted to wake the snoring Spaniard with his best attempt at English, “Excuse me, sir… you are sneezing!”



Tags:

Leave a Reply