BootsnAll Travel Network



Bratislava

Bratislava is home to 23-year old Eugen Ružický. He was our Servas host and ambassador to Slovakia. Based on the multiple 1,000 word emails and lengthy G-chat sessions leading up to our visit we hypothesized that Eugen was an energetic, passionate, and talkative guy. Our theory was confirmed when we met him at the train station and began our whirlwind Slovakian weekend.

After a couple hours chatting over drinks with Eugen he seemed like an old friend. He had bought us tickets to the fall university “formal,” Beánia, so we put on our nicest garb and left for a grand introduction to a student’s life in Bratislava. Eugen’s university is a very small and close-knit community of outstandingly nice people. The event was organized like a high school dance (gym dance floor with adjoining refreshment stations) but unfolded in true college fashion. The only difference I could detect between a Slovakian college party and the American equivalent was that in Slovakia the outdoor smoking area is almost as populated as the dance floor.

It was an exhausting night of discourse and dance that didn’t end until after a 5 AM food run (which unfortunately didn’t hold a candle to Ken’s-D’s or Kirbs-on-Kirbs.) We reluctantly awoke the next day for a quick tour of Bratislava. Eugen took us to the main square for a look at the adorable little Christmas market. We tried some more hot spiced wine and the local pastry specialty involving a lot of poppy seeds.

Every minute with Eugen was spent either discussing some profound dilemma or sharing viewpoints concerning a wide array of hot topics. Eugen employs the polar opposite of small talk. Within 10 minutes of meeting him we were already deliberating over significant issues. This isn’t to say he isn’t fun. On the way to Beánia he staged a comedy routine about the surrounding graffiti and then buddied up to the stern cab driver the whole way there.

On the last night we got a second wind and went to hang out at Eugen’s friends’ apartment. They all spoke amazing English and made us feel right at home. The hours flew by and before we knew it, it was time for yet another 5 AM food run (Eugen swore that generally most Slovakian nights out ended around 2 or 3 but that was becoming hard to believe.) We learned all sorts of cool things while talking with Eugen’s friends. One particularly enthralling story was the one about a nearby abandoned Soviet missile silo they used to explore at night as kids.

We were amazed by the people of Bratislava. Everyone we met spoke perfect English. Until mingling with the Slovakian youth, we hadn’t come across so many Europeans who could comfortably speak English to one another if they knew Americans were around. Everyone also seemed extremely well-informed and open minded. Our host Eugen did a great job of welcoming us to his country and showing us an amazing time.



Tags:

Leave a Reply