BootsnAll Travel Network



Glasergenjord

On our last full day in Scotland we hiked Arthur’s Seat and then caught a train to Glasgow. We explored Glasgow and discovered a nice area near Glasgow University with a skate park full of rebellious youth and a tag by Banksy (banksy.co.uk) The next day was a big travel day from Edinburgh to Bergen, Norway. We noticed two things about Norway right away; everything is super expensive and everyone is tall and blonde.

Bergen is a quaint harbor town with a lot of history. We got most of our meals from the fish market – essentially a big, daily farmer’s market with vendors selling anything and everything delicious. We tended towards the pancakes with fresh jam. Whale meat was available, but we passed. With so much history all around, the guided walking tour is almost mandatory for any traveler in Bergen. It was extremely interesting and gave us a good lens through which to view Bergen and Scandinavia in general. Our tour guide looked just like Dave Grohl from Nirvana.

The Floibanen (funicular) took us up to the top of Bergen and we stood in awe for a good hour before walking back down. We couldn’t help but notice an abnormal amount of ‘goth’ people all over Bergen and staying in our hostel. I later found out that one of the largest Black Metal music festivals was going on in Bergen – thus the abundant jingle-jangle of piercings and thud of big black boots.

Between Bergen and Oslo, we followed the ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ route. A train takes you about an hour out of Bergen, where you board a bus heading to the fjord country until you reach the water and take a ferry through the magnificent fjords. A symphony of camera shutters played as we made our way from Gudwvagen to Flam along the Stojer fjord. From Flam a train climbs up into the fjords as you head to Oslo. It’s an all day fjord-fest chock-full of landscape that makes a career in geology seem more thrilling than Formula 1 racing.



Tags:

Leave a Reply