BootsnAll Travel Network



Barcelona

Over the years I’ve heard a lot of things from different people about Barcelona. Nothing prepared me for what it was like. We climbed up into the city from our underground train stop and were immediately confronted by Gaudí. His organic twists and turns seem to grow naturally out of this lively urban jungle thriving between the ocean and the mountains.

Gaudí and the funky attitude engrossing Barcelona he helped sculpt were the main attractions. There was also the Picasso Museum honoring all of his under the radar ‘b-side’ works and studies. Between them two the city was already almost too artistic to bear. Throw on some wonderful coastal weather, a hip and rebellious Catalunyan population, plus some palm trees and you’ve got a perfect storm of stimulation.

First we climbed up Casa Milà for a look at a Gaudí interior and a peek at the city from above. Then we humbly shuffled through the ongoing epic that is the Sagrada Familia. Still feigning for more Modernisme magic, we hiked up to Park Güell and reveled at what can be done when someone ignores the limits of traditions, taboos, and creative dogma. I got the impression that Gaudí was one of those geniuses that started with “Wouldn’t it be cool if…” and didn’t stop until the coolness was realized.

We especially enjoyed the neighborhood surrounding the Picasso museum. It was a ying-yang of bohemian artistic and SOHO chic. Inside the museum we were amused by a lot of the early work by Picasso. His paintings transmit his emotions pretty clearly, so you can tell when he was happy, sad, frustrated, curious, and just being a wise ass.

Every night we ate at a local vegan eatery called Juicy Jones. It was delicious.



Tags:

Leave a Reply