BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 32: 17th Mar – Amritsar

Border crossing today leaving Pakistan.  As Amjad taught us when first entering Pakistan, the song ‘Jeeway, Jeeway Pakistan’ meant ‘Long life’, a song that we all had no issues singing when leaving the country.  We drive to the border, where a few days before we’d seen the ceremony of taking down the flags.  As with every border crossing on the trip so far, the process is long and arduous.  The weather has been progressively increasing in temperature since Turkey, making the border crossing that much longer.  After 1 hour of having passports checked, bags randomly searched and many forms filled out, we finally reach Indian soil!

Sandeep is our guide for the next couple of days, sent from the tour operator looking after us while in India.  Our bus was the biggest so far on the trip, with space for us to literally run around (or at least lay across a row of seats each).  The drive from the border was short and the hotel was “traditional” (looking like it was last renovated in the 30’s).  As usual, nothing to write home about.  A lunch stop after the baggage drop, and our first taste of the renown Indian culinary delights.  I opted for egg biriyani, which was very cheap and very tasty.

After lunch, we paid a visit to the Golden Temple, the Sikh equivalent of Mecca.  By the time we arrive, it is late afternoon and the sun is in the process of setting.  Because of the timing, we sit outside the temple and wait for both the sun to go down and the lights to come up.  The sight itself feels holy, sacred.  More than peaceful, I felt I could spend the whole day there staring and simply being, without a care in the world.  I wouldn’t be able to put my finger on what time of the day is preferable to see the temple, as the building itself has a special magic around it both during the day and at night.  Another highly recommended sight to visit.

On the way back, some of us decide to try and find some alcohol.  We find some rum and also a bar to have a few beers.  After the pub, some of us have a small rum party in Leader’s room, ending our first night in India on a drunken high.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *