BootsnAll Travel Network



Snorkeling in the Whitsundays

First of all, after re-reading my last entry I know I should not do a blog while really tired! Probably with no explanation the breathilizer comment made no sense eh?

Well, before the uneventful bridge climb in Sydney they actually give you a breathilizer test! But, we passed with flying colors:)

We headed from Hervey Bay to Carnia Gorge… about 3 hours inland. It was finally some of what we were looking for in Australia. The campground was in the gorge NP and had some great hiking trails. Jim and I, naively, chose to walk to the dam not realizing it was 10km!!! We were dying by the time we got back! We were the only non-locals there, it’s a popular site for camping for a few days by people who live in the area and there was a pool, winetasting in the evening and outdoor movies. All in all a great time.

Then a LONG driving day (about 7hrs ) to Mackay just for 1night in a cheap hotel just to break up the drive to Airlie Beach.

We’re here in Airlie for 3nights and got a cabin at the campground so we do have a bed and ensuite toilet/shower but can still save $$ by cooking our own means, etc. Airlie is a great little resort town and the gateway to the Whitsunday islands.

Yesterday we did a full day cruise to go snorkeling and explore some of the islands. Crystal clear turquoise water, powdery white sand beaches, etc. A wonderful day. It is, unfortunately, jellyfish season so we had to wear VERY sexy (NOT!!) stinger suits but it was wonderful snorkeling.

Today just chilling, laundry, you know…all the fun stuff, before heading north again. We’ve got 4 more nights in the hippie van and then 4 nights in the timeshare in Cairns and 5 nights with our friends in Port Douglas and then the Australia odyssey of our trip is over. And, thank goodness Wille’s prediction didn’t come true and we have not, at least yet, been eaten by crocodiles!

Cheers to everyone and more later! Love , Jim & Rhonda



Tags:

One response to “Snorkeling in the Whitsundays”

  1. Wille says:

    I was not hoping you would be eaten by crocs… geez make me sound like such a villian. Well I hope you are having a great time. Watch out for the Kiwi’s as I hear they run in herds and have a hankering for American pot pie.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *