BootsnAll Travel Network



Life as a retiree

Sorry I haven’t posted in a couple of weeks but it’s busy being retired, albeit temporarily!

Last week Jim & I finished up the majority of our shopping for the trip. In a later post I”ll actually list what we’re each bringing but, believe me, it’s not much! We purchased all quick dry, lightweight travel clothes from stores like REI and Columbia and I think they’ll work out great. It will just be a new experience to have so little for an entire year.

On Wed. we had a potluck picnic with the fellow work mates which was good fun and they very nicely gave us a gift card to REI which is always appreciated!

Thursday we headed down to Eugene for our lasik surgery. What an amazing experience!!! We’re both thrilled we finally did it and although our focus is still adjusting we’re both basically at 20-20 now and Jim’s stigmatism is gone. Really fascinating what they can do with a laser and 10minutes of your time! Our vision will continue to adjust for the next couple of months and in 3 months should be pretty set at where we’ll be. Can’t wait to NOT have to bring glasses, saline, contacts, cases, etc etc on the trip and no worries about losing or breaking anything. We spent the night in Eugene for a checkup the next morning and headed back to Portland on Friday.

Saturday morning we headed up to Vancouver BC for a long weekend with our friends Mike & Malisa. They just purchased a great new house so we wanted to see them and break it in before we left! They now live about 25minutes south of Vancouver by White Rock which is a great coastal community. Lots of eating, drinking, and some long walks along the boardwalk.

Back home on Tuesday afternoon to get the apartment all packed up. We’re now officially homeless gypsies and are currently moving between family & friends houses until we actually leave on Aug. 26. We’re taking the boat over to the lake in Lincoln City today for a couple of days of useage before we winterize it to prepare to store it for a year.

We’ll try and be in contact with as many of you as we can before we leave but so far thanks to everyone for the great parties (Dana,Dallas,Ken & Wendy..thanks so much!!! Had a great time)

See you all soon and then we’re off!!!!!!!!!



Tags:

One response to “Life as a retiree”

  1. Pennie D says:

    Hi Guys–just checking in!

    So glad to hear that the eyes have all been zapped and you are both well. Enjoy your “betwix” time these next few days–they will be enormously helpful in the transition from life as you know it to life on the run. :))

    I bet it does feel a bit wierd to have a year’s necessities in one light bag… Coool.

    Keep posting!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *