BootsnAll Travel Network



Freezing in New Zealand

Well, we’re here in New Zealand and let me tell ya, the weather is NOT the same as Fiji!! We arrived in Auckland on 6 Sep. and headed downtown to our hostel, the Fat Camel. Even though we had reserved a double we got a twin with no windows which was similiar to a jail cell. We quickly dumped our bags and headed out for a late lunch. We went to Occidental Belgian Cafe, which I’d read about in Lonely Planet and was only 3 blocks from the hostel where we had our first really good beer in almost two weeks. One downfall of lovely Fiji, the total crap beer they have there!

After a good lunch we headed down to the waterfront to a bar called Minus 5 our friends Krista & Guy had told us about. It’s a 1 room bar located in a freezer so everything is ice, the furniture, the sculptures, and even the glasses. It was a total tourist trap costing way more than we should have spent to put on hats & gloves and freeze for 30min while having a vodka cocktail but hey, ya only live once right?? We weren’t allowed to bring in our camera but for another hefty charge they took photos and we’ll email them next time we’re online.

By this time we had walked all around the main of downtown which is quite similiar to Seattle waterfront but somewhat shabbier, and had both decided we were not thrilled with Auckland (nice but just another big city) and were certainly not hostel fans. With that idea we decided to see if our Maui campervan was ready 1 day early so we could blow dodge. After chilling out for a bit we did have an enjoyable evening wandering about some pedestrian street areas and ending the night with a glass of wine and hummus plate before hitting the sack. I slept great but unfortunately JIm was awake listening to some of our fellow hostelers having a domestic dispute… we’re glad we left the land of the hostels!

We were able to pick up our van early so headed out of Auckland. There were lots of sights along the way but due to our late start we decided to head directly to Rotorua to get a campsite before it got fully dark. It’s such a small country the drive only took about 3hrs and was fantastically gorgeous. It was a great combo between rural Oregon and small town England….LOTS of cows, sheep, and stud farms.

We’re now happily esconsed in our campervan and spent most of today wandering about Rotorua. It was sunny for the most part but around 50degrees or so, as I said, definitely NOT Fiji temps! The entire region is on a geo-thermal plane which is why it’s referred to as Sulfur City, with everywhere sort of having that rotten egg smell. But, the town is cute, people friendly, and a great start off for our month here. All of the campgrounds, hotels, and most peoples houses in town seem to have mineral hot spring spas & pools which we’ll be taking advantage of before dinner tonight.

Tomorrow we’re off to visit a Maori cultural/ geyser area and then driving to Waitomo to see the glow worm caves and spend the night.  We originally thought we’d go on and spend the night by Lake Taupo but are now thinking we’ll stay in Waitomo so we can go on a night walk and do some glowworm spotting then as well.



Tags:

7 responses to “Freezing in New Zealand”

  1. Krista says:

    Hi guys,
    Glad to hear you are having so much fun! I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your experiences so keep it up.

    All is good here – loving Portland and the futon. Rhonda….I still need that enchilada sauce recipe. 🙂

    Take care and have a blast.
    Krista

  2. Pennie D says:

    Hey guys!

    Am SO enjoying reading your blog. Keep writing (but more importantly, keep having a good time!)

    I guess that’s a thumb’s down on the Hostel experience, then, huh? Glad that you had alternative arrangements made for the duration of your month.

    Pennie

  3. Dave Bell says:

    Hi Jim & Rhonda

    Lara & Greg were down here at Wheeler for the weekend and gave us the address for your blog. We’ll be with you for the rest of your trip! What a fantastic trip and we soooo envy you! Guess this means you won’t be around for the races next year, huh Jim? That’s OK, I’d much rather be with you guys.

    Have a great time and post whenever you can…we’re all anxious readers back here!

    Dave & Jan Bell
    (Lara’s parents)

  4. Monica says:

    Hey you two! I’m excited to read your travel tips, trials & tribulations! Ah yes I remember the hostel in Venice, the older woman who couldn’t quit hacking & coughing all night and the teenaged girls hanging out the windows to tease the boys on the other side of the hostel. Not much sleep that night!nrAnyway, I am headed back to Costa Rica next week. Hope to see turtles nesting on the beach and check out some sloths! I will continue to enjoy your blogs! They are great.nrTake care, Monica P. (I noticed there is another Monica included in the comments)

  5. Jim & Rhonda says:

    Hey all, Krista, I’ll get that recipe to you I promise! Glad all is working out back in PDX.

    Love all the comments from everyone else. Keep following along with us! More updates to come tomorrow.
    love
    Jim & Rhonda

  6. Dani says:

    Rhonda and Jim,

    I wrote earlier, but somehow cannot find my earlier email to you. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves. Like your friends and family say, “Keep on blogging” so that we all can live vicariously through you two. I check everyday or so and Christine just came by and saw that I was reading your blog. She sprinted back to her desk to check it herself!

    Well, all is well here in PDX. Miss hearing your laughter, that’s for sure. Many happy memories in the making for you.

    God Bless,

    Dani

  7. Kelly says:

    Hello travellers! OK I am all about the glow worm caves! Hope you guys are warming up, we are very envious of the Fiji beach and pool vacation. Wonderful for you. Relax, have fun. K

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *