BootsnAll Travel Network



Catching up with our adventures

I realize that I haven’t done a good blog in some time so now prepare…. time to catch you up on the last week on the road with Jim & Rhonda!

Kaikoura was wonderful and gorgeous and we had such a fantastic walk..and good thing because we woke up the next day to rain and total overcast. If we hadn’t been there the day before we would have had no idea that there were even mountains on one side of town!
It was about a 3hr drive to Hanmer Springs along some very winding roads, as usual. Hanmer is another very scenic resort town. It’s set in a large valley but surrounded by mountains, some snowcapped. For everyone in the states it reminded me of the scenery around yellowstone. Our camp park was right next to mini-golf and a maze so we had a fun few hours playing around that area and after some housekeeping chores walked over to our reason for coming to Hanmer… the thermal springs. This is the only area of the south island with thermal springs and they have made a large complex with 9 pools of varying heat as well as 3 sulphur hot tubs, a restaurant, waterslide, etc. We spend 2 hours lounging in the different pools and it was fantastic, exactly what we needed!

Next morning we headed west across the alps to the town of Greymouth and then down the coast to a little town called Hokitika for the night. Along the way we stopped at Shantytown since Jim had never been to one of those restored gold mining towns before and bummed around a bit. It was ok. If nothing else a nice break from driving after a couple of hours. Hokitika was great. Right on the beach with lots of gallerys’, restaurants, etc. The camp park was right on the beach and it was a beautiful sunny day so we spent the afternoon playing on the beach, watching fur seals, and just enjoying the weather.

The next day yet another travel day…this time only 2 hrs down to Franz Josef to do one of the things we had really wanted to do in New Zealand – Heli-hiking on a glacier. Jim had never been in a helicopter and I’d never spent any time on a glacier so fun to be had for all! It’s outrageously expensive but absolutely fantastic…everyone should try to do it if they can. First they got the group outfitted in boots and then we headed out. After about a 10minute helicopter ride up to the glacier we were dropped off and given our talenz…what they call crampons, but more suited to just walking about. We spent 2 hours hiking with our guide, Cliff, around the ice formations, taking photos, etc. and then Cliff and a couple of crazy members of the group stripped off some of the layers of clothes , keeping their boots and talenz on, and jumped into a glacier lake! We would have done it except for the thought of wearing soaking clothes for the rest of the hike so we passed it up. Maybe next time? We spent 2 nights in Franz Josef, a cute, very small mountain town and then headed further south again.

We chose a longer driving day next to get all the way to Wanaka from Franz Josef. Again, crossing over the alps but this time heading east. More beautiful scenery as we passed waterfalls, deep gorges, and roaring rivers. Wanaka looks like a beautiful town, set right on the lake and surrounded by snow capped mountains (are you sensing a constant here on the south island ????) but we couldn’t see too much of it due to the rainy conditions. We decided to spend just 1 night since we didn’t feel like doing any of the day hikes in the rain. The park was walking distance to the little town, once again, so we bummed about town, got some dinner and went to the Cinema Paradiso – a renovated town hall made into movie theater where all the seating is old sofas, recliners, even an old bug convertible. They serve beer and pizza with homemade ice cream and cookies at intermission. We saw Blades of Glory, a very funny, super-silly movie and had a great time.

The next day, Sunday, first headed off to Puzzle World right outside of Wanaka… it was great, illusionist rooms, a huge maze, etc. Lots of fun. Next stop was the NZ military air museum with some interesting restored WWII planes, etc. Then a short 2 hr drive to Queenstown. Right outside of town we stopped for a great cheese platter and some wine for lunch at Giddston winery and then into camp.The Top 10 Creeksyde (yes, that is how they spell it) is a great location, walking distance to town and the gondola, nice facilites, etc. But, it was packed!!! We were quite lucky to get a spot and I can see why reservations are required for high season!
We spent yesterday afternoon wandering around town and checking everything out and then just ate dinner in the camper and had an evening in.

Today, Monday the 24th, we went out for breakfast and then headed up the gondola. We were hoping the weather would clear…it’s overcast and around 58degrees, but no luck. We had a pretty great view from the top, however, and then did a couple of luge rides…Great fun!!! Now we’re back down in town doing this computer catch up and tonight we’re out for dinner and a movie here in town. There is a very cool looking restaurant called The Cow that is a renovated 140yr old milking parlor we’re having dinner at. I think we’ll do one more night here in Queenstown and then we’ll continue our on-going discussion about whether we really want to spend 2 days and a bunch of money to go to Milford Sound for all of about 2 hrs or if we just bag it and head up into the lake district working our way towards Christchurch…we’ll let ya know what we decide!



Tags:

4 responses to “Catching up with our adventures”

  1. Lara says:

    Hey guys, when you head over to Milford Sound, try to do the overnight cruise boat it was a ton of fun. We flew over which was really amazing, but since you did the helicopter trip already, you might not need to do that.

    I love to hear all about what is going on, and it bring back great memories of my trip to NZ.

    Love ya,
    Lara

  2. Wille says:

    Good morning… well for us anyways. I imagine you both wearing tie dyes and driving around in a Westy. Well an updated one anyhow and probably not tie dyes, but hey it’s my imagination and it looks cooler. Sounds like it would be wonderful to be living the 21st century nomadic lifestyle. I admire you both and enjoy catching up reading your blogs. Have a safe trip and keep the writing up as it gives me a break from my workmadic lifestyle.

  3. Jim & Rhonda says:

    Well, we’re not in tye dye yet Dan but by the time we get our Hippie van next month in Australia we may be!

    And, sorry Lara but we decided to skip Milford sound this time..can’t see it all. I guess now we have to come back:)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *