BootsnAll Travel Network



The Mullet Lives

Mullets everywhere. Barcelona, and as I’ve come to find out, Spain as a whole loves the mullet. I’ve been back in Holland for about 5 weeks now, and have correctly identified many Spaniards here, male and female, based solely on their hair. There is a distinctness of the Spanish mullet, characteristics that have seemed to carry over into other hairstyles, even if not exactly mullets. Many of those previously mentioned Spaniards fit this category… The hair might not technically be a mullet, but it has similarities to the way the Spanish mullet is worn that you can still identify them as Spaniards. The most common style with the youth seemed to be what I’ve deemed the drudllet. A dreadlocked mullet. Many of these involved bowl-cut like top hair, very matted down, with the front hair pointed forward, and dreadlocks in the back. Usually not particularly long, 10cm or so, and varying between about 3-8 pieces. Some go with a buzzed top and the dreads, and some girls also take this style, but with bangs in front.

Unfortunately, due to the delicate nature of mullethunting, it is difficult to photograph them. Here are some of the shots I was able to achieve, but they truly only represent a mere fraction of what I saw.

At the Barcelona-Bayern Munich football game. I actually expected to see even more there than I did:

This one I passed on the way back from the supermarket. With my dinner-to-be in hand, I turned on heel to chase down this plumage. I ran a good half kilometer down La Rambla, ducking between souvenir stands, restaurant tables, and street performers to get ahead of her to get a shot. Note the markings found on this particular speciman, with the bleached 2-tone colorings :

And here we have a She-Fauxllet:

In this shot it’s perhaps easier to see the rooster-like manner in which the fauxllet stands up. We believe this is to help attract a mate.

And here we have the ever-popular Drudllet:

And just to wrap up Barcelona from a “guide book” standpoint for anyone looking for tips and recommendations and whanot, after leaving the Hostal Windsor I went back to BCN Lofts to try to get a room. They didn’t have anything available on La Rambla again. Too bad, since it was a great location, and there were still some people I had been hanging out with staying there. They did have one in La Raval, but only for one night. They normally require booking at least 2 nights, but let me take it anyway. I did already stay there earlier in the week, after all, and would have booked another night if they had the space. Anyway, La Raval is a bit further out, but not as far as it seemed Hostal Windsor was. La Raval still had things going on, and I actually liked the area. It had a culture vibe going… or maybe it’s just me being strangely magnetized to the grittier neighborhoods (read, ghettos). Hey, I’m from Detroit…. it happens. The room itself was alright, perhaps a more modern building and apartment, but I liked the feel of the other better. And, there were no matches or lighter to light the stove… Not a big deal, just frustrating when having planned to cook dinner to find out, and not have time to go back out to get anything before going out for the evening.

The next two nights I stayed at the Ideal Youth Hostel. It was also only €20, the cheapest rate in town for being the summer. It was right off La Rambla as well, in about the same spot as the BCN loft, just on the other side of the street. There was a decent sized common/eating area, and the rooms were alright. The showers were actually hot! Or, they were at least easy enough to use that I was able to make them hot. The “kitchen” they claimed to have consisted of one refrigerator and a microwave, with a little big of table space in front of it. Somehow, I still managed to cook a salmon steak. And it tasted good. Call it good ol’ backpacker ingenuity, but I’d be damned if I was gonna let that fish go to waste. Amazing what a tupperware container, plastic bag from the supermarket, bottle of wine and a lemon can do. The hostel was ok, but they night guard and staff lady they had were a bit much. The common area closed at midnight (or one, maybe?) and they kicked everyone either outside or back to their rooms. And they weren’t particularly polite about it. Ah well…. if you had to deal with drunk college backpackers on summer holiday all the time, I bet you’d be pissy, too.



Tags: , , ,

One response to “The Mullet Lives”

  1. *Liz says:

    Brilliant!
    I’ve lareayd forwarded this to my friend who loves all things mullet…I’m sure he’ll be very happy. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *