BootsnAll Travel Network



D’oh!

So I screwed up. I have a week off starting this coming weekend. I was planning on going to Prague by train. Well, today I went to book it, and first off it was twice as expensive as it was last I checked, but they sold out of them, anyway… I checked flights, and was prepared to spend three times as much as the original train ticket, but when I went to actually book, that fare was gone, too… and I just can’t bring myself to spending 4.5-5 times the amount. So, of course not wanting to waste a week off by not going anywhere, I’m slightly panicky, yet very cool about it. I’m going the “true” budget traveller route (er… something like that…), and am looking for the cheapest plane or train ticket anywhere… doesn’t really matter where anymore, just somewhere new for cheap. I’ll worry about finding out what I’ll actually “do” there later… The RyanAir, EasyJet, and AttitudeTravel websites are becoming my good friends…. You fly to where? Oh yeah? It’s cheap….? Ok, I’ll go…

The Thalys to Paris is looking pretty cheap… might have to get ahold of my brother to give me a crash course on things to do, and my mom for a crash course in the French language. I’m a little wary about Paris, because it seems like the kind of place I’d like to be somewhat prepared for visiting due to its size and so much to do… but hell, whatever works… also going to be more expensive than I was originally planning for with Prague, but.. eh… do whatchya gotta do.

I found a fairly cheap flight to Finland… might not be too cold yet… hmm… but I’d lose a few days of travelling because of the schedule of the budget airline.

Scotland? Maybe… it’s close, I’ve been wanting to go… Haven’t found particularly cheap tix, tho.

Western Ireland… Yes, since I only got to Dublin before… tix are a bit much…

I live with two girls from Hamburg… if either of them is going home for the week, I might just try to tag along.

Somewhere else in Eastern Europe? Budget tix last minute are a bit more of an issue, since not as many trains run there… but I’ll keep looking.

Ack. Back to the internet. Have a suggestion? Know of a great last minute deal out of Amsterdam somewhere? Leave me a comment!



Tags: ,

One response to “D’oh!”

  1. Jessie says:

    Well, all of your options sound enviable. I love Paris, and I also love Scotland. The rest of your choices are foreign to me as well. You’d have plenty to do in Paris for a week – prepared or not – without moving around at all. With Scotland, you might want to try to get to a couple different places within the country in order to fill a whole week. I was in Edinburgh for four days, and by the last day was ready to move on. Just a thought.

    I recently read an account of a quick trip to Paris, and it made me want to go back. It’s very food-centric, but still – it seems really appealing to me:
    http://shewhoeats.blogspot.com/2006/10/paris-for-two-or-one.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *