BootsnAll Travel Network



Szczecin, Polen

     I was in Berlin visiting Lena, and decided I wanted to see a bit of Poland one day while she was busy. From Berlin you can buy a Brandenburg regional train ticket for €29, which is good for one day, anywhere in the state of Berlin-Brandenburg, for up to 5 people. The great thing is that this region ends at Szczecin 2 hours away in Poland, so it makes for a nice day trip, especially if you split it with 4 others… which unfortunately I was not doing. I didn’t know anything about Szczecin before going, so I first found  my way to an information centre. The woman there didn’t speak English, und ein bisschen Deutsch, so she explained to me where the old city was, and the major things to see, in German. I schön gedanked her and went out to explore. Since I only had about 8 hours, I wasn’t digging very deep into the town or the Polish life and culture with this quick adventure. In cases like this, I resort to my 3 favorite travelling activities… beer, food, architecture. This time, I started with the architecture.

     The city has a walking tour of the city, painted right on the ground. A red dashed line snakes around, stopping at various numbered points of interest. I normally would stay clear of following around a tourist circuit, but I was short on time and being lazy, so I followed it anyway. It wasn’t like there was a herd of tourists doing the same… Szczecin isn’t so populated in a late February. So I don’t really have much to say about Poland, except that they have some nice buildings. It’s a cozy town to walk around.

 

 

 

The city has several gates around:

   

 

There’s some really great buildings. Some of the architecture reminds me of Amsterdam, with the stepped roof façades.

                                   

 

Szczecin has it’s share of griminess…

   

 

There’s a lot of churches in the city, one of which I went inside that was being restored. It was actually a very modern feel inside, with new brickwork and lots of light.

           

 

Other cool things I saw…

     

 

Before long I stopped in a bakery to try out some Polish baked goods, and later I found a quaint little restaurant by the Pomeranian Dukes Castle and got myself a soup in a bread bowl, some pierogies, and Tyskie beer for lunch. Delicious, and I was stuffed by the end.

 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *