BootsnAll Travel Network



Leipzig

     After our roadtrip from Amsterdam to Berlin, Francisco and I decided to head down to Leipzig to visit a couple friends we have there,  Volker and Ferenc. Leipzig’s an interesting place… the fact that’s it’s in the former East was pretty quickly evident. There’s a Detroit-like grime I’m attracted to…  Before seeing anything, we decided on some food. Volker and Ferenc took us to a really cool place, Cafe Barbakane, that used to be a bunker or something, and now turned into a restaurant/bar/club. We then started by going to the Panorama Tower, which gives a view over all of Leipzig and beyond. From there we went to the newly restored Nikolaikirche. The pastel pink and green interior columns and vaulted celings made us feel like we were inside a wedding cake. Afterwards we passed the pub where Goethe wrote his Inferno. It’s now been turned into a pretty high class restaurant, so we didn’t stick around and went towards the Altes Rathaus and then Thomaskirche, where J.S. Bach was the musical director, and is now buried. We checked out their conservatory, the Hochscule für Musik und Theater Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy and met up with some of their friends and headed to a bar that night. I forgot the name but it was a good size space, they had some nice food… we played some pool… drank. Good night. The next day we just walked around the city a bit more before heading off for our 7 hour road trip back to Amsterdam.

                                 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *