BootsnAll Travel Network



Leaving for Perú!

So here I am, just hours before my departure for Perú.

It’s been a long time in the making, yet doesn’t seem it. We’ll back up a bit to see how we got here…. My best friend Joe and I did some backcountry camping in northern Michigan at the end of last summer, and afterwards decided that we should do it more. Both of us did a lot of camping in our more youthful days, but it had been a while since we had really gotten out like that. Around this same time is when I discovered that there was a BnA excursion planned to Kiliminjaro (I know, I should have known about it long before then, but I was out of the loop for a few months in there…) That gave me ideas. So in the spirit of our adventure trekking, I asked Joe if he wanted to do Kiliminjaro, Everest, or the Inca trail. Also at this same time, he was talking with Lindsey, the girlfriend of our friend Blu. Lindsey had a friend living in Sao Paulo, so discussion of going either there or to Rio for Carnaval came about. As I researched Carnaval, I found it was already too late to try to do something about going this year, as things book up a year in advance. However, Lindsey was also now interested in the Inca Trail, and, as we discussed it more and he realized he might be able to afford it, Blu wanted in as well.

So now there’s the 4 of us… pretty much my limit for travel companions any more, and only because they’re some of my closest friends that I’ve traveled with before. Things could get ugly otherwise. But I’m confident all will be fine, especially because it’s just going to be a quickie trip, not extended travel.

The decision that we were indeed doing this was made around the end of last year, and it really became final mid January, when we booked our tour for the Trail. Time crept up on us as we got our tickets six weeks ago, and now, here we are, ready to go. Thinking back, it sure hasn’t seemed like very long, but the guess 6 or 8 months in the making up til now sure did.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *