BootsnAll Travel Network



Inca Trail, Day 4: Machu Picchu

Well, today is it. The last day of the trek, finally reaching Machu Picchu. We were up at 4, breakfasting, and on our way. We followed the train tracks to Machu Picchu Town, though did have to watch, because the tracks were live. We had plenty of time to get off the tracks if a train was coming… though sometimes not much room, as we were hugging the river on the other side. Compared to the rest of the days, this hike was nothing, and wasn’t very long til we got to the town. We dumped our gear in a restaurant they had reserved and boarded a bus, driven by yet another crazy Peruvian driver, to take us up to Machu Picchu. Once there, Victor gave us about a 2 hour tour of some of the highlights before sending us off to explore on our own. There’s really not much I can saw about it but… WOW! The site is just so big, with so many ruins… Part of the reason we were trying to get there so early was to avoid the flood of people, and I’m glad we did. There were still others while we were there, but just a couple isolated groups. The masses came later, though. I have to admit, there didn’t seem to be quite the energy as I felt at Wiñaywayna.. surely due to the traffic it sees daily, but the sheer size and views were still enough to make you tingly. Words cannot describe how cool it was, and if a picture is worth a 1000 of them… ehh, I’ll cut with the clichés and just show you the damn photos…
P4200376.JPG

P4200256.JPG P4200266.JPG P4200273.JPG P4200281.JPG P4200282.JPG P4200298.JPG

Apparently the moon in Peru phases horizontally, as in top to bottom, rather than left to right… I had no clue… amazing the things you learn… you’ll definitely need to enlarge to see it. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a clear shot of one at night, so you’ll have to take my word that it looks sweet.
P4200279.JPG

The group….

P4200310.JPG

P4200320.JPG After exploring Machu Picchu, the four of us, Tim, and Michael took the trek to the top of Huayna Picchu (the big mountain behind Macchu Picchu in the pictures.) Yes… more hiking and climbing… but since we didn’t have packs, it seemed like we flew up there. We couldn’t come this far and not do it, right? It still wasn’t easy, though, as this is what it looked like the whole way up…

But it was well worth it, as this is the view down to Machu Picchu from the top

P4200331.JPG

Blu Meditating on an outcropping overlooking Machu Picchu

P4200325.JPG But this still wasn’t the very top… there was still more steps on the ruins up there to climb to get to the very top, including going through an extremely small and narrow cave. P4200337.JPGThis is the way out….
And here’s Tim crawling his way out… P4200339.JPG

Joe on another outcropping on the very top of Huayna Picchu with the mountains that surround Machu Picchu behind him…

DSC00692.JPG And on the Ruins on Huayna Picchu… P4200362.JPG

And let us not forget about one of the most important aspects of Machu Picchu…. LLAMAS!

DSC00702.JPG P4200364.JPG P4200367.JPG P42002631.JPG DSC00633.JPG DSC00721.JPG DSC00722.JPG

They were obviously quite used to people and walked right up to us, but were a bit camera shy. There’s apparently a common joke I haeard several people saying about asking a llama what it’s name is… In Spanish, “What is your name?” is literally translated as “What do you call yourself?”, or “¿Como se llama?”… in case you haven’t figure out, the joke is in the homonymn… “¿Se llama, llama?”

Once we were done exploring Machu Picchu, we took the bus back down to the town, where we found everyone else at the restaurant we left our gear at, and grabbed a beer and some pizza. I have never been so glad to drink a pale Pilsner before… After 4 days on the trail, the heat, the exhaustion, the pain in our legs and backs…. I put down that liter like water. And now, the 4 hour train ride back to Cusco. How could it possibly take so long? We wondered the same thing ourselves… but realized why once we were on the train… it is quite possibly the slowest train in the world. We probably could have outran it, not that we were in any condition to do so. I was expecting to get some sleep on it, but it was also one of the worst riding trains in the world, too… so we were being pitched about the whole time. Ugh. And not to mention, train conductors are also apparently crazy… several times we had to stop, back up, and try forward again when the track wasn’t switched for the direction we had to go. You’d think they’d have all that figured out by now… apparently not. And, to make matters worse, the conductor was killing the gears of the train each time he changed direction, making the whole thing jump about. I don’t know anything about train tranny’s… but I can guarantee whatever he was doing was not good for it. But finally, we arrived back at Cusco. Many people in the group were going to be meeting at the pub Rose O’Grady’s in a couple hours for dinner and drinks, so we headed back to Loki to shower and rest a bit, and then meet back up.

Now the real question… did we really have a reservation when we returned like the desk guy said? Of course not… I had a feeling… and they were nearly full, yet somehow we managed to find beds. Thank God. I was ready to pay them to let me unroll my sleeping pad and crash on the floor, just as long as I could get a shower and put on some clean clothes.

Once ready, we headed back out to Rosie’s for some good ol greasy pub food and cold beer. The four of us, Tim, Michael, Phil, Rachel, Keith, Erin and her friend Yasmin that met up with us at Machu Picchu were there, as well as Barney, one of the personal porters. From there, most of us headed to a disco in the Plaza for some more drinking. Lindsey and Blu were beat, so they headed back to Loki. I was definitely feeling it, too, and wasn’t sure how long I’d be able to make it… but I think I’ve conditioned myself to this sort of abuse by now. My second wind (or is it 3rd? or 4th?? or 5th?!? by now) kicked in right when it was needed. I don’t remember which disco we were in, but I do know I kept getting handed drinks I wasn’t paying for… if it was on behalf of the bar, ¡Muchas Gracias! If it was on behalf of my fellow trekkers, ¡Muchisimas Gracias! I’m buying next we meet, wherever that may be.

DSC00770.JPGEventually some of us found ourselves at Mama Africa again. Ahh… the good memories from before 😉 I, uh, don’t remember much about being here this time… I was pretty tanked… except that some possibly incriminating photos of Barney and one particular trekker do exist! Go Barney!! I do know that eventually Joe and I stumbled our way back to Loki… and something about telling some guy on the street that we were from Russia… I think Joe became Sergio, and I perhaps Vladimir… I really can’t remember anything more than that… Finally time to sleep in a real bed.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

One response to “Inca Trail, Day 4: Machu Picchu”

  1. BostonBill says:

    Good job on the blog. Sounds like ypu had quite the adventure. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *