BootsnAll Travel Network



Inca Trail, Day 2

Holy fucking stairs! All fucking day! My God. Have you ever done a stairmaster for 8 hours, at a 45-60º+ incline carrying 15 kg on your back, with the sun beating down on you? But not even, clean cut stairs by any means… no, just steps built by rocks… jagged in many places, uneven footing, not equidistant by any stretch of the mind.P4180122.JPG At times in the beginning of the day the trail flattened out a bit, making it slightly easier… but not much.

P4180120.JPG

We were also in more of a tropical/jungle environment for the first couple hours of the day, which was cool because it was the first of it we’d seen on the trek.

There’s not much to say about Day 2 but endurance! It’s no joke. Some of the people in our group would not have made it if not for their personal porters. I’m glad that I made it on my own, though… but I did question several times whether my personal pride was really worth the physical pain I endured.But yes, I think it was.

P4180137.JPG


P4180138.JPG

And Lindsey… Holy Shit girl!

P4180141.JPG

She had the second heaviest pack of anyone, Blu taking the prize for heaviest, and that girl carried that pack all the way to the highest peak, Dead Woman’s Pass.

It took her a while, she threw up several times on the way, and blacked out for a minute once reaching the top… but she fucking trudged through it and made it. Not only one of the few to carrying their own packs, but the ONLY girl to do so. Mad props! Many took quite a breather once reaching the top.P4180139.JPG

After sitting for a bit, she managed to regain control of herself and finish the last hour and a half of the day, which was actually downhill… but down these damn stairs again.

Personally, I don’t think they were much better, because the way I had to reposition my body to recenter my gravity for going down stairs caused my pack to really start taking a toll on my back. But I survived and made it to camp… exhausted again.

P4190152.JPG

But to make it all worth it, this was the view out the front of my tent…



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *