BootsnAll Travel Network



BnA Partytime in London!

The time has come again… travel somewhere and drink with travel friends! In London this time… working my way around the world. I feel fairly unprepared, yet again, for this trip. That seems to be a theme recently, but it always works out. Ok, so I did at least book the plane ticket in advance and made a reservation at the hostel… but I didn’t even choose the hostel. Our party organizer Michelle handled that. I’m just goin with the flow. I have no clue what I’ll be doing yet during the non-party times. I’ve been to London once before… 14 years ago, with my grandmother. But that’s a good thing, because I’ve already seen most of the sights, and it’s way too bloody expensive right now to actually spend money in London! I did at least buy a nice laminated city map with the tube lines, and write down the directions to the hostel….

The flight was quick to Gatwick. It cost £10 for the train to King’s Cross… and took forever. I’m sure I was on the train longer than the plane. The directions I had said to jump on the tube from there, but the line was so bloody long, I just walked. Better choice, anyway, because a one way ride is £3. It’s really only worth taking if you’re going to be using it all day. I stopped at a Turkish store and bought a package of cookies and a water… my planned sustenance for the weekend. Got to the hostel and checked-in and found Michelle. Talked to her for a while until Mel showed up. Drank a few beers from the bar, but didn’t do much. Considered heading out to explore, but decided to save that for tomorrow.

Made it up in time for the hostel breakfast. Woo! A rarity for me… Then headed to the tube stop and bought a day pass for £4.90, and proceeded to abuse it. I started heading towards the general downtown area, but remembered Howarth’s, a great woodwind instrument store, was not too far away, so I switched lines and checked it out. Somehow, I managed to only spend an hour and a half or so there, and only spent £40 on sheet music. It could have been much worse…

Then I headed to the Piccadilly Circus stop and did my favorite travelling activity… walking around. Yup… just as chaotic as I remembered it. But I lucked out. A Starbucks girl was walking around with free samples of a cinnamon latte they serve. Score. From there I headed towards the palace, via the park. I’d been there before and saw the changing of the guard and all. I just wanted some pictures now, with the advent of digi cameras. It’s different than I remembered… The layout of the surrounding area, and even the palace itself. It’s really not all that impressive for being a palace and all.

From there I went towards Big Ben and the Parliament, then jumped on the tube to get across the Thames to get a from shot of the building. In retrospect, I should’ve just walked across the bridge, but whatever. Got some shots of the London Eye, too, but didn’t want to wait or pay to ride it. I hung around for a while til it got dark to get some other shots I wanted. And, grabbed a street hot dog. Then back to the hostel, as party time was nearing.

Drunkenness ensues… don’t remember where exactly we went, but it was a good time. Photographic evidence on Flickr.

10:00 check out… what a bitch… I made it, more or less… Michelle, Mel, Graham, and myself headed out for a proper English breakfast. Grease helps cure hangovers. After popping a couple aspirin, and getting greasy eggs and coffee, I was doing much better. I realized at some point that I lost my scarf from Peru :( Bummer. I’m really only bummed cuz it was from Peru… oh well, guess I’ll just have to go back and get another :) I still wanted to go by the Tower of London and bridge, on one side of town, before heading to Heathrow, on the complete other side. I had about four hours, so shouldn’t be a problem. On the way, I walked past the monument, £2 to go up, so I did to get some more pictures. Then headed across the London Bridge and past the dungeon… which, at £15, was way too expensive to actually go in. I headed down and back across the Tower Bridge and to the Tower of London, another I had already been inside of, so I strolled the grounds and got more pictures. Luckily, I had great weather the past two days. A rarity for London, but a nice change, especially from the recent weather in Amsterdam. It gets dark so early in London this time of year. It was nearing 16:00 and losing light quickly. I headed to St. Paul’s Cathedral for a couple more pictures before jumping on the tube back to Heathrow. The plane was delayed by a half hour, giving me time to wander a bit and spend the last of my £. Not too bad… almost exactly £50 for the weekend (not counting the hostel or sheet music I bought.) Coulda been worse…

I’ve become quite an architecture buff from travelling. There were some interesting designs I came across… I’m curious about this phallic glass obelisk. There’s a very similar one in Barcelona.



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “BnA Partytime in London!”

  1. Jessie says:

    Great photos… Really cool perspective shots of the buildings & the London Eye… Send ’em in to Why Go. 🙂

    http://www.whygo.com/why-go.php

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *