BootsnAll Travel Network



Amsterdam New Years Eve 2006/07

Following a series of random circumstances, several fellow Boots were in Amsterdam for New Years Eve, among them Pete, Jenn, and good ol’ Bill. From Boston. We call him BostonBill. Bill and I have had a good run thus far. Over the past year we hung out a few times, in NYC, Chicago, and Portland. It was only logical that it would lead to an international event. In the few days prior to NYE, as people showed up, I got to play tour guide showing everybody around. Finally, all that “research” of hanging out in Amsterdam is coming to use.

On the Eve itself, we made our way to Dam Square, where all the cities festivities took place. They had a stage set up with a DJ that had apparently gotten ahold of a mixtape from Detroit circa 1999-2000. He was playing all the huge house hits of 7 years ago. Luckily, the scene was still strong then, so they were good tracks… they just took me back to the rave days. In addition to the four of us, Pete had some other friends and his friends in town from Germany, so we all met together. Nothing particularly special happened in the Dam, except for people hanging around and drinking, dancing, and getting soaked by the rain. At midnight, fireworks were set off… everywhere… People had already been lighting them all day long, all around the city. In Rembrandtplein, some guys were shooting some off from a hole where a traffic pole used to be. Occasionally, one wouldn’t make it airborne, and would explode on the ground, endangering dozens in the near vicinity. Apparently, that’s just fine. As is it for younger kids to throw small light firecrackers at the feet of passersby.

After midnight, we all found our way to a bar to continue the evening. Nothing too crazy, as everybody, including myself, was flying out the next day, but a good time with friends nonetheless.

For the rest of the Flickr photostream



Tags: , , , , , ,

One response to “Amsterdam New Years Eve 2006/07”

  1. djehotels says:

    Hey seems you all had a cool start of the new year 🙂 http://www.djehotels.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *