BootsnAll Travel Network



Taipei and calling home, it’s so humid and a mild but still mild complex

I’m back at the same internet cafe on Zhongxiao Dong Rd, a block on your right from Royal Palace Hotel. I now can say how many hours I want to go on for. They ask if I want smoking and I can respond with a ‘no’. And I’ve noticed that when it gets late, they always ask for some sort of ID; here and near Taipower Building station.

I feel a bit shitty. And it’s all my fault. I finally got through to my mum and I was so horrible: like it was her fault that it’s so hot and humid here; that it’s her fault some woman was getting impatient with me and was tapping her feet waiting for me to finish; that I suddenly have a complex about being so fat; that she wants to do something complicated that involves my sister putting some money in my account for me to take out and give to my relatives in Vietnam; that she only wanted me to call to help so if I wanted to meet up with my brother Pete’s girlfriend’s family, I could. And here I was being so rotten to my mum and now I feel rotten. What’s wrong with me? I already know I’m going to call back after this.

I’m not fat. I’m size 10 (UK) but being here I might as well be a size 28 extra extra large! And it’s not that, I look around and everyone seems so oblivious to the heat or they’re very good at looking really cool about it. And I can’t see insect bites on the flesh of these people – girls more so because they show more flesh because they’re thin and look good with lots of flesh showing and of course, why wouldn’t they?! It’s like they’re immune or something and it makes me feel so very oh-man-what’s-wrong-with-me. I believe if I stay here long enough, I will end up thin. I’m a 27 inches waist. Here, that’s seen as fat and normal is 23 inches, I’ve been told. 23 inches is like a size 4 (UK, smaller than a size 6)! Enough of venom and exasperation.

I’m going to get kicked off again very soon. I’m going to call my mum to apologise. 

***

Quote of the day
We must not allow other people’s limited perceptions to define us Thinkexist.com Quotations
Virginia Satir. American Phychologist and Educator, 1916-1988


Tags: , ,

One response to “Taipei and calling home, it’s so humid and a mild but still mild complex”

  1. Amy says:

    mum takes so much crap from us, dont know how she puts up with it. It is hot, humid and sometimes unbearable here too. Sweating buckets before arriving at work is not nice.

    Just to let you know mum insisted on coming along with me when Peter was dropping me off home last week, just to pop by your place to water your plants. They almost died in this heat but think mum has saved them!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *