BootsnAll Travel Network



Sydney and Newington, Olympic Park Stadium, Sushi-ya in Artarmon

Kia Ora! Pehea ana koe (‘hello, how are you’ in Northern Maori – thanks Veronica!)

My last night in Townsville, I cooked a meal to feed an army. I thought Cullen, Ian and I did a pretty good job finishing it. Lots of drinking ensued. A good night. Cullen is a babe-magnet but I don’t think he knows it. He has that sexy-glasses-doctor look going on and that trusting demeanor that tells you your life is safe in his hands. That’s on appearance. Now that I know him a bit more, I can stamp him and say that he is exactly that – I trust him with my life. He’s single girls! Anyway, I was sad to go because it was just about getting even more interesting. On a different note, it’s funny having a doctor at hand all the time because every little scratch and I want to make sure it’s not going to be infected! Cullen, it can’t be just me, you must get it all the time!

Now in Sydney, I have my own room, my own computer with internet access – this is Jimmy and Miho’s spare room. I have 3 different sized towels set out for me. I feel very spoilt. I don’t know why but the offering of a towel makes me feel that way. So I felt pretty spoilt in Auckland and Townsville as well. Jimmy and Miho’s house is in a residential area called Newington which is close to the Olympic Park Stadium which has these amazing slanting blue columns of light at night. Jimmy picked me up after dropping Miho off at the airport. I’m gutted I won’t be meeting Miho as she’s off to Japan and I’d be gone by the time she gets back. She’s left me a little welcome note written on cute hello kitty paper and gifts so for 5 minutes I’m feeling like a child Santa had just surprised.

As we drive around, I realise that Sydney is massively spaced out – you can’t just walk about – and getting anywhere is almost painful without a car especially in this area where the Olympic Park Stadium is not used enough to warrant trains to frequent here as often as other stations. We talk about transport options and a ferry ride to Central Sydney appeals to me. We eat sushi at Sushi-ya in Artarmon, a cute place among other Oriental food selections where to go to the ladies or gents, you ask for a key for a room at the back on its own and you receive this key with Winnie the Pooh and the donkey (can’t spell – Eeor?) dangling from it – quite bizaare but definitely worth the funny feeling in the stomach for a few seconds. As we eat, Jimmy tells me about his and Miho’s life in Australia and how their life revolves around family in Hong Kong and Japan. These are people I’ve not known til now and they’re treating me like family. This is pretty cool. He tells me I can do Sydney in a couple of days. So I’m here for a couple of days, then Canberra for a couple of days, then straight to Taiwan. We plan to go to Blue Mountains tomorrow. Then a whole day in Sydney CBD (I love saying CBD – it stands for Central Business District). Hey ho!

***

To Miho: Thank you very much for the gifts. Jimmy showed me your pottery and I think they’re beautiful; you and Jimmy must do the Europe trip and come to London to see me as I’m not sure when I’ll be in Sydney again and I would so like to meet you.

To Poyi: Thanks again. Sophia is coming to Taiwan and I’m hoping to change my flight to get there to meet her; it would be really cool if you can make it too.

To Nick: I think I saw a shark inside the wreck but it could have been a shadow – the woe that comes with being short-sighted! But I saw lots of big big fish that came close close.

To Seb: Tu m’attend. Tu me voit chaque matin. Did I say that right? Enjoy Lausanne; I’ll imagine you looking at the Alps above the shimmering lake.

To Cullen: Thank you; let’s talk some more when you get back to London and I promise I will try not to repeat every other word you say.

To Maxine: Thanks for trying to sort out my refund. Just click on comments at the bottom.

Quote of the day

If we’re growing, we’re always going to be out of our comfort zone. Thinkexist.com Quotations
John Maxwell. American Author and motivational speaker


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *