BootsnAll Travel Network



Nothing Changes on New Years Day

Day 56

We had to move hotels today since the Jinava is booked for New Years. We figured a bit of a splurge was in order for New Years eve so we called ahead and reserved at the Vulcano Lodge in Jaibalito. At $40/night it wasn’t exactly breaking the bank. Jaibalito is just a 25 minute ride from San Marcos and since it is unreachable by road it promised to be a very quiet new years.

We climbed off the boat at Jaibalitos dock and walked uphill on the villages main “street”, although since there are no cars let’s call it a sidewalk. We passed friendly locals and laughing kids playing football, it was a good first impression. Finally we reached a sign pointing the way to the hotel, it was set just under some cliffs on the upper end of the village. Sprawling grounds, attractively landscaped with small cabins to stay in. Our room was spotless, large and well decorated with a fabulous front veranda. We had a hammock, a couple of chairs and a great view. It was tough to imagine a more relaxing place.

The hotel is owned by a very friendly Norwegian couple. They bought the place 14 years ago and slowly have transformed it into one of the best places I have ever stayed at. That night for our new years dinner they had setup large table for 12. All the guests, staff and themselves sat down for a new years eve feast, it was like dinner with family. The food was laid out buffet style and we could just take what and how much we wanted.

After dinner some guests headed to bed but Jordana and I were determined to be up at 12am to bring in 2008. We got a bottle of wine and sat on our veranda waiting for the new year to arrive. With a candle, mosquito col burning and some low key music on the iPod it was the quietest new years we have had yet one of the most enjoyable.

I don’t have much else to report from our time at Jaibalito. We spent most of it on our veranda in a hammock. Hence the title of this post, sorry I just wasn’t feeling creative and I always think of U2 on new years. When we tired of that we strolled through the village to say hi to the children and buy some bananas for lunch. It was a perfect way to start 2008, a year that promised to be filled with new countries, adventure and excitement.

Happy new year!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply