BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Cultured In Texas

Day: 3
George Bush, football, cowboys and Waco are all things that jumped to mind when I hear Texas. Austin, Texas is the exception in the overly conservative state.
Dubbed the Live Music Captial of the World and boasting a thriving arts scene, Austin is quite a liberal town. We rode the bus into the downtown core and made our way to Blanton Art Museum on the campus of the University of Texas. We walked through people who were already tailgating for tomorrows University of Texas v.s. Texas Tech. football game. The Blanton had a excellent exhibit of Durer on and houses an impressive modern art collection.

We spent the rest of the day recovering from all our travelling, we lazed about in Austin´s numerous parks and then found dinner at a most unlikely of Texan spots, Veggie Haven. Excellent asian veggie food and the place was packed.

At night we were ready to check out the nightlife that everyone talks about in Austin. We weren´t disapointed, the city comes alive and really parties hard. We headed for Red River St. to start, home to some of the cities best punk clubs. We saw some great bands, although I can´t remember their names now. Austin truly is a great city to party in. From punk on Red River St. to the crazy frat party scene on Sixth Street and down to the rockabilly scene on South Congress, the city has something for everyone.

Our time in Austin was short but I really enjoyed the relaxed liberal feel to the city. We will have to get back someday to experience more of the city. Who would have thought the state that brought us George Bush could be so Liberal? It´s diversity like this that makes the U.S.A. such a remarkable country.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Getting Cultured In Texas”

  1. Mike Parkdale says:

    Hey Guys,
    hope the trip is going well. My Mother has wintered in Austin a few times, and it sounds like a great place. Hope there’s a postcard on the way 😉

    Mike

Leave a Reply