BootsnAll Travel Network



Crawl for the Border

Day: 4
I had read about several companies that ran buses from U.S. cities down to Mexico, eliminating the need to change buses at the border. One of these was Autobuses Americanos in Austin. We arrived at their depot for the supposed 8 hour trip to Monterrey, Mexico. We were the only non Mexicans aboard.

After 3 unexplained bus changes and numerous stops for meals and whatever else we reached the border. The border was lots of spanish which led to lots of confusion on our part, it was quite evident we had left behind the efficient part of North America. We entered a small office, seemingly interupting the custom agents dinner. We handed over passports, paid $23 and said Gracias. That´s it, we were in. Oh wait not so fast amigo, then we went to yet another office where they scanned our bags, and upon leaving we pushed a button on what looked like a street light. One light is green and says pass the other red and reads Alto. Good secure system eh? We got lucky and got green so we were on our way.

The rest of the trip was fairly smooth. We passed checkpoints in northern Mexico which are looking for drugs, the border town is nicknamed Narco Laredo. Finally 13 hours after departing Austin we were settled in our Monterrey hotel room over looking a beautiful plaza. It finally feels like the trip has begun and we are truly somewhere different.



Tags: , , ,

One response to “Crawl for the Border”

  1. Melissa says:

    Hi guys!!! Everything sounds adventurous already!! Miss you crazy nuts!!!

    xo

Leave a Reply