BootsnAll Travel Network



Back North

Day 196

5am in the surprising warm morning air of Ushuaia we climb on a bus for Rio Gallegos. For the last 7 month of travel our goal was to keep moving south, now we are heading back north. It almost felt wrong, definitely strange.

We had much more calm weather for the trip north than we did when we arrived here. We crossed the mountainous south of Tierra del Fuego in the dull morning light and by the time I woke up we were back driving across the treeless grasslands of the north. Soon enough we were back at the Magellan Straits and this time the water was incredibly calm. Our ferry gilded across the water as Jordana and I stood on the deck bravoing the cold wind. “Look at that, Dolphin!” I shouted as a rare commersons dolphin passed behind the ferry. They are reputed to be the most. beautiful dolphins in the wild, a striking white and black. They are also pretty rare. This must have been our lucky day as soon after we spotted another. Back on the mainland we crossed through Chilean and Argentinan customs for the last time, we have 10 Argentina passport stamps due to the ridiculous border here.
4:30pm and we are in Rio Gallegos, close to 4 hours faster than when we went south. The 4 of us squeezed into a taxi for the Sleepers Inn Hostel. A friendly clean place near the centre. After a nap and showers we all walked back to the same restaurant Jordana and I enjoyed a great pizza a week ago. The pizza was yet again great.

All of us were wiped out from the early start and day of travel so we turned in early. Tomorrow we are catching a bus northwest to El Chalten, trekking capital of Argentina.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply