BootsnAll Travel Network



Almost a Great Day for Golf

Day 195

Our last day in Ushuaia and the day I planned to golf. The sun was shining outside and the temperature was its warmest since we’ve been here. A great day for golf. The first thing that told me golf would be different in Argentina was the opening time. 11am, at home you could have played just about 2 rounds by 11am, here they were just opening.

After a fried egg breakfast I went down to the reception to ask of they could call the course and find out green fees and such. I was pretty excited about golfing here, it would be a perfect end to a fabulous week in Ushuaia. “180 pesos to play”, the guy behind the desk told me as he spoke to the course on the phone. “Wow, es muy caro!” (Very expensive) I responded. That’s $65 CAD. “Oh and 120. Peso for clubs”, he added. Well that put an end to my day of golf. $100 plus a taxi to get out there to play a 9 hole course, granted you played the 9 twice but that was just crazy. The course isn’t even supposed to be that good its just the setting that attracts people. “Ok, No gracias”, I told him. I couldn’t justify paying that kind of money to golf in a country where our nightly accommodation is no more than 80 pesos for both of us.

So while I thought I would have plenty to write about today it turns out all I can tell you is that we sampled some good Ushuaia chocolate and that banks here close at 1pm. We joke about bankers hours at home, but having a workday from 8am to 1pm is just ridiculous. Can you even call that a full time job?

We made an afternoon trip to the grocery store so we could make dinner and the rest of the night spent reading up on El Chalten, our next destination. Our bus leaves at the ungodly hour of 5am tomorrow so its off to bed early tonight. I really will miss Ushuaia. Its been one of my favourite places on the entire trip. The spectacular setting, friendly people, sense of remoteness and the thought of where we are in the world has made it great. Its been a special place for myself since this was our goal for the Americas. To try and get here without flying and while we didn’t exactly do that we came close and with everything that’s gone on over the last 7 months I’m very thankful that we finally did reach Ushuaia. Things are good at the end of the world.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply