BootsnAll Travel Network



Beach to City…

Rare early post – am taking a long bus ride tomorrow and then diving for a few days, so want to get this entry logged and not have it hanging over me. You know, if there’s no real stress in your life, you just manufacture some. That’s me these days…

Had an enjoyable last few days in Boracay. Wandered around the beach, taking in the crowds and spectacles. Forgot to mention last week that Boracay has some truly spectacular sand castles – not shaped by little kids, but by ‘pros’ from the resorts and corporations. Check out a couple examples:

SandcastleSandcastle 2

Did a bit more diving on Friday – and gave Vera a small present, a ‘Discover Diving’ lesson with an instructor. After learning about diving, Vera went for a 20-minute dive with the instructor and I…I think it blew her mind. If you haven’t tried diving (or at least some snorkeling), you haven’t seen the crazy stuff that thrives underwater – it’s an almost completely unique environment down there and it’s addicting to be in it. Plus, I feel very comfortable in the ocean – perhaps I’m not a highly evolved mammal. The salt water does wonders for my body and mind. And I’m not the only ocean-loving mammal, take a look at this dog, owned by the diveshop I used – he’s a diving dawg:

Dive Dog

Walking around the beach after diving, we noticed all sorts of tourists hanging around. And you know, some people are comfortable on the beach and know how to enjoy it – others don’t. Filipinos are good beach types – they play beach games, they take a lot of photos, they bury each other in sand – all the corny stuff that went out years ago in the West, but which is perfectly acceptable behavior on the surf. Europeans are also good on the beach…more restrained than Filipinos, but sun-loving (even if their skin pinks up immediately). And Americans are generally relaxed on the beach.

Arabs, on the other hand, look very much out of place. They should know sand – but might be confused at having it so close to the water. Walking around stiffly with khafiyeh and hijabs, these folks look like they’d rather be somewhere else. And I’ve already remarked, in an entry from last year, that Indians tend to look like geeks on the beach – fully-clothed, eating fried snacks, and assiduously avoiding the water.

Russians are somewhere in between. They’re happy to strip down to their bathing suit and catch some rays. But Russians are not a relaxed people, in my experience, and there often tends to be some tension around them – as if they’re about to spring up and take care of some (violent) business at any moment. I imagine my thinking is colored by the profile of Russian tourists – I’ve met quite a few in Goa and other places, and many of them are bull-necked and short-tempered people, who probably made their money from crony relationships and questionable tactics. I try to keep my distance from them – although their women are cute and sometimes friendly. I’m probably being too conservative in my definitions, but so far that’s kept me out of trouble…

On Saturday took a boat tour around Boracay Island. Kind of corny, but you’ve gotta try these tours every now and then. It stopped at a couple seluded beaches (on one, Shangri-La is putting up a new 5/6-star resort), at a rocky promontory for lunch (the usual BBQ and rice), and at a small island with two interesting caves that are right on the shore, with the ocean flowing in, creating some drama when the tide is high. There are great views over to Panay Island, where the ferry and airport are located. And I always love to watch the huge ferry ships – the sense of scale is something else, these huge ships pale when set against the vastness of the sea and islands. Here’s what I mean:

Ferry

Had dinner that night at Café del Mar, which may or may not be a sanctioned outlet of the original Ibiza classic. All the big Café del Mar world music tunes were playing, the food was ‘world food,’ and we sat there sipping margaritas and enjoying the mellow pace. Although Holy Week is one of the busier times for Boracay, it felt pretty relaxed. Couldn’t really ask for more from life, methinks…

Went bar-hopping after that. Vera displayed an impressive ability to suck down cold San Miguel Lights, despite weighing less than 100 lbs (Vera, not the beers). While waiting to use the can, noticed an Asian tourist – probably from Japan, or perhaps Korea – who was sporting what looked to be a WW2-era army cap – you know, those little oval thingies worn during informal times. Not something I’d wear, if I were Japanese, around an island brutally occupied by the Japanese Imperial Army, albeit many decades ago. Talk about lack of environmental awareness…or perhaps I’m too sensitive to these matters. Whatever.

Got an email from Amazon.com. These come with frightening regularity. Amazon is trying to decode my mental algorithms, and occasionally succeeds. But often not. This time, it was trying to pre-sell me on a book written by one of the US TV show Golden Girls’ cast. The usual trash about multiple marriages, alcoholism, etc. The reason I got the email was because, years ago, I ordered a book called Close to Shore from Amazon. This book was about a series of fatal shark attacks off the New Jersey shore during WW1. Decent book, good gore factor. Somehow, mind you, this book had some unknown connection to the Golden Girls book – ‘readers who read ‘Close to Shore’ also ordered ‘xxx’’ – no further explanation given. Talk about mindless regression analysis / fishing expeditions…reminded me of the time years ago when I ordered a Boston Celtics boxed DVD set for my dad’s birthday, and weeks later getting an email offering me the Los Angeles Lakers DVD set. Anathema – I boycotted Amazon for months after that. They need to be a bit more sophisticated with their algorithms…artificial intelligence is still in its infancy, it seems. Revel in your humanity, dear readers!!

Rained a fair amount during last few days in Boracay – unseasonable stuff. At least most of it fell at night, although Vera and I did got soaked when I went to drop her off at the ferry (she had to leave a few hours before I did). Had a nice time with her – and will meet again in Puerto Galera when I go back there in a few months for more diving. That’s all the kissing and telling I’ll do for now…meow!

To backtrack a bit – the night before Vera came to visit, I got nailed by mossies while sleeping. Either I didn’t tuck in the mosquito net, or there was a hole – either way, scores of the little fuckers got inside and I woke up itching like a demon. Had some anti-itch stuff (ammonia, basically) and that helped, but I was still pissed off. Killed every mossie I could find, read for a while, and made sure from then on that the net was fully operational. Word to the wise.

The hotel – Melinda’s Garden – is solid, nice nipa huts that feel traditional. That said, plenty of insects and smells – will be nice to move on after a week’s time and spend a few nights in a boring city hotel, with aircon, clean everything, and a sterile modern feel. Here’s what my hut looks like, from the outside porch. Vera is on the hammock – she relented to the airing of this photo, but was too shy for anything more explicit…

Melinda's Garden

Had lunch at the Treehouse Bar (exactly what the name implies) before I left to fly to Cebu. Very good pizza…and while sitting there at the bar, watched the last hour of ‘The JFK Jr. Story.’ Talk about trash – unless you’re an avid National Inquirer reader there was zero content. But I was hoping for a reenactment of the plane crash off Martha’s Vineyard…to no avail. Oh well.

Took a ferry to Caticlan harbor, then walked a very sweaty 200 meters to the airport. Small-time affair – just as I like it. One X-ray machine. Dozens of armed guards. One place selling food/drinks. One puny aircon unit in the corner of the waiting room (‘Terminal 1’ – there’s only one terminal, with two doors leading to the tarmac) nowhere near to the task. Lots of wall-mounted fans, not doing the job either. I was covered in sweat – no real issue for me, but there were a couple hundred others in the room who were probably appalled by me. Took out my little Japanese hand fan and that helped considerably. Having these little gadgets with you on long trips makes a big difference.

Lots of bizarre t-shirts on display. ‘Jesus Never Fails.’ ‘Perfect’, across a fairly impressive pair of breasts. And one paunchy fellow was wearing a t-shirt with the Budweiser red sideways-hourglass logo, but instead of ‘Budweiser’ he had ‘Bedwetter.’ Lord, what is thy message?

Got to Cebu, one of my favorite bases for fun & sun. Checked into the Holiday Plaza Hotel – slight rip-off, but comfortable and near everything. Washed away all the sand and sweat – felt good to be back in a city, in a clean hotel room, ready for anything. Walked down to the Silver Dollar bar – a classic Cebu place. A guy was sitting at the bar wearing a short-sleeve Pittsburgh Steelers black jersey – random. I love the Steelers so was initially disposed to liking the guy – but I did notice that on the back of the shirt was the name ‘Stewart,’ presumably from Kordell Steward, aka ‘Slash’ – a decidedly mediocre player shipped out years ago. I changed my mind about the guy – anyone who was a Steelers fan who chose the Stewart jersey over those of the oodles of brilliant Steeler Hall of Famers was a cretin. Plus he was a little too friendly – I tend not to trust such people. So I ignored him and talked to the (rather comely) bartender…

Went to a street known as Larsian for a bite. This street is lined with dozens of BBQ vendors – doesn’t sound that special, but they offer some good fare – the usual pork and beef, also chicken, fish (all sorts, including bangus/milkfish), eggs, and, of course, San Miguel beer. And the sauces are excellent – mixes of vinegar, soy, pepper, and some other random ingredients. If you like BBQ meats, the RP is your country, my friends. Very basic food, but not half bad. My waistline has grown a bit – time to hit the track and sweat it off.

While picking up some toiletries, noticed that the most popular condom brand here seems to be ‘Frenzy.’ Oh my. I doubt market research was required to come up with that one…

Trolled around iTunes yesterday, while downloading the latest episodes of 24. TV is evil and I wish I never watched a second of it…but it’s too late now. Don’t let your children near one of those boxes, through. Came across the album ‘Beauty’ by Vargo and bought it. Very nice stuff. Check it out, you’ll find it mellow and relaxing.

Read in the paper that a thousand WW1 vets die every day in the US. Interesting. The passage of time, coupled with demographics, is so fucking powerful. Talk amongst yourselves…

Went looking for some mefloquine, for malaria prophylaxis – will need some for my upcoming trip to the island of Palawan. Couldn’t find this product – probably not sold here anymore (ever?). You can use doxycycline, but I’m not in love with the idea of using antibiotics on a daily basis for weeks – that can monkey with your digestive tract. So we’ll see what I can come up with – I do have a few weeks, and I also have a few mefloquine pills from India last year. Will probably just use those. Seems I spent lots of time hunting down drugs – for sore throats, for malaria prevention, you name it. Oh well – not the first time in my life I’ve been on the lookout for drugs.

Noticed that almost every pharmacy/drugstore sells booze. In Mercury Drug in Fuente Osmena, the liquor is sold in the medical devices counter of the store. I love it.

One of the porters/doormen in my hotel is named Bambam. He’s got a little badge with the name right there. He and I were in the same elevator yesterday and I couldn’t stifle a giggle – he smiled at me, hopefully not knowing what I was laughing about. I wouldn’t want him pulling out a huge club and beating me to death (Flintstones reference).

I am an avid newspaper reader – those of you who know me well know that. I come across articles here – and books, and fashions – that seem a bit dated, like they were recycled from the West. Observed the same in India. I’ve read articles about the five indispensable e-gadgets carried by frantic businessmen/movie stars/politicians (smartphone – a la Treo or Blackberry; iPod; laptop; digital voice recorder; others) that I seem to recall reading in the States in 2002. Major echo effect – it gets annoying. Where are the articles that are ahead of their time? I could walk into any of these newspapers and turn them on their head with random ideas and analysis – of course, I’d get paid roughly enough for a plate of BBQ meat with sticky rice. But maybe I’ll do it anyway, just for a laugh.

OK, enough for now. Gotta get ready for a long bus/boat ride tomorrow, to the pristine island of Malapascua, where I am going diving with Thresher Shark Divers. That’s right – you can (hopefully) dive near some huge harmless thresher sharks and have a zenlike experience while your blood vessels and soft tissues load up with nitrogen bubbles. Sound like fun? Stay tuned.



Tags:

3 responses to “Beach to City…”

  1. Rcon Pascua says:

    I have been to Boracay and Cebu with my tribe and with some close friends a few times already! And these places are truly among the most beautiful beach destinations in the Philippines.

    I love your post. Easy read and it sure showed how terrific your stay in Boracay and Cebu turned out.

  2. Johann says:

    MBS

    Sounds like the diving bug has got you bad. I am very envious.

    As you’re able to download music, etc., I highly recommend downloading stuff by Amy Winehouse. Really excellent, bluesy tunes, but with very modern lyrics – no remakes, all original stuff. And that girl can sing – she sounds like a modern Billie Holliday.

    Best,

    Johann

  3. Jason says:

    You continue to have very nice photos! Love the sand castles and the beaches at sunset. Keep up the good travelling!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *