BootsnAll Travel Network



Tuk Tuk Miss……

Things have not been going too well for me for the last couple of days. First, it was delay in my visa for Cambodia and then I picked up a fight at the local bus station…what can I say my true colours are finally showing. The thing that I want to overcome the most surfaced at the most inoppurtunate moment. Its hard when the thing you dislike about yourself most keeps brimming to the top. Anger and Irritation..my worst enemies. Usually only few people see this side of me are mom and dad who can tell you plenty of tales. The tuk tuk drivers are no help with there constant “Tuk Tuk Miss”, “where you going” ” airport” etc etc.


Vietanne, is the first place I felt that the men in Laos are no different. I did’nt feel this way in Luang Pranbang which is a fairly large town. But here its been different. They sneer, pass comments and can’t seem to wanting to help. If I need a Tuk Tuk I will ask.

Reminds me of the “eve teasing” in India, especially in the north. In general in Goa and in the south you don’t encounter it much. But there were moments in Goa when the tourists from the north would pass comments or the soldiers from the military camps would have wandering hands in the local buses. I remember the time when few students from my college who were Delhites were beaten up by local Goan boys for passing comments.I was so glad..those boys behaved for the rest of the year they were in town. I hated myself being a girl growing up at times like this as you just don’t feel safe and being a teenager you already have issues. Dad this is why I wanted a motorbike so much! so as to by pass the horrible public buses.

What, I ask you is the whole purpose of this? What do these guys get out of it. Because of my “training” I have been able to ignore them here and pass them without turning back and resorting to an answer. Want to so much though.

Maybe I’m being too sensitive as am on the edge (need to fall back on some Buddhist compassion principles) I should take advice from my fellow Booties and have some chocolate and get rid of the bad karma for once and all. I seriously searched for “Captain Morgan” the whole morning after making confirmed plans to get out of this city. Wish there was a chill pill I could take…but have to say am getting so much better in handling situations..still have a long way to go.

Since, I did’nt want to leave Laos on a sour note, I have planned to head to the south of Laos and then fly to Siem Reap. I don’t think am brave enough to manage the Cambodian land border crossing this time around. I have heard too many horror stories. Next time!



Tags:

3 responses to “Tuk Tuk Miss……”

  1. Brendan says:

    Hi Madu,
    Don’t let this sort of stuff get you down babe! Peaks and troughs! Right now is just the build up for the next kick ass part of your adventure! I’m now in london and it is sucking me dry but i’m soaking it up! Big traveller hug to you my friend – remember you make your own happiness and fun!

  2. Keri says:

    All part of traveling alone as a female…you are strong and brave…rise above and try to see the beauty in your positive impact on those you come in contact with. Have a fabulous time in Cambodia…can’t wait to read all about it!

  3. Daniel says:

    I know the feeling (well, the male version of it). I remember screaming at tuk tuk drivers that followed me along roads, lecturing old women that gave me “special” prices. I have calmed down a lot here in Malaysia, where people, even the salespeople, are generally much more polite.

    Also this article made me reconsider some of my attitudes to (non sexual admittedly) hassle:

    http://www.backpacknation.org/bp2/marjorie_hamlin.doc

    I think the boys that do the kind of thing you’re talking about get a kick out of watching women squirm in discomfort. They know they are too crap to get women to respond to them positively/sexually, so they settle for getting a response out of women the next best way, in discomfort/fear, so they feel powerful…