BootsnAll Travel Network



Traveller’s Do’s and Don’ts

Okay, so what’s with guide books without the most important pages! I bought a Laos guidebook in Chiangmai and was very happy with the deal I got. I should have known when something is too good to be true…something is wrong. The girl assured me that since the book was missing the most important map that was the reason why it was cheap. Also of course it was a pirated copy.


I know, I know, I should not buy fakes but I tried to get the original…maybe I did’nt try hard enough. Its like buying 10 peso CD’s in Mexico City. So I have learnt my lesson.

Anyway, on my way to Laos I realised that most of the Luang Pranbang section is missing and then slowly I see pretty much the first 5 pages of each city are missing.

HOW can somebody do this? How can you sell a book with pages missing. Imagine reading a suspense novel with no ending. I personally think its unethical. If you are too lazy to carry the whole book then make a copy of the pages you need. Its just costs a cent of two in this parts. We are not talking about the Thailand or India guide which are a Kilo each.

I think there are certain ethics that a traveller on the road should adhere to…and certain things he should be mindfull of.

1. Of course never sell a guide book or any book for that matter with pages missing.

2. Try not to talk down to locals as if they are idiots..just because they don’t understand your english does not mean they are simple. Talking loudly does not help either.

3. Respect local culture and try not to show cleavage..especially in small towns.Try is the operative word I use here..I know its hard in the hot season but I don’t see guys going bare chested. Okay so am a prude shoot me!

4. Try not to throw beer bottles in the river or abandon your water bottles on the sidewalks.

5. Reuse…there are no recycling programes in these parts. Ask if your GH can refill bottles…pay them for the water instead of buying plastic again. Avoid using plastic bags ..especially when for each water bottle you buy there is a plastic bag and straw that comes with it.

6. Please dont encourage begging by giving money to the kids.Try and donate to organisations which help them or buy something from then rather than encourage their easy ways. Guilt can be hard but even the locals would appreciate your help to curb begging on the streets.

Okay, I think I have ranted enough for one day.



Tags:

One response to “Traveller’s Do’s and Don’ts”

  1. norie says:

    Great pics! Wonderful adventures!!! And you look fabulously happy!

    Your pics make me imagine summer lunches in the middle of rice fields! Wish I’m in some parts of Asia right now!!!

    News from SF??? Well, it’s foggy and grey here in SF. I can’t even see the top of TransAm in front of my window and the Bay looks cold as usual Nah, not much to miss except your friends here 🙂 Enjoy your adventure, take it to the hilt. Continue to inspire us so we may someday pack our bags and see the world for the first time again!

    Take care of yourself and load lots of pics 🙂

    -Norie