BootsnAll Travel Network



Social Capitalism…

Here I thought I was coming up with a new word but lo and behold it does exist. But does it mean what I think it should or does it mean something completely different. Last night after finishing a bottle of wine, some Thai food, I got into a very interesting conversation with a friend. We talked mainly about how one can bring about change back in India. What we learn in the classrooms in MBA school ..can it be applied in the real world. Is humanity spiraling downwards or are folks out there who are making a change at a grassroots level making a difference. But will this be enough. A part me say’s there should be a policy shift, a shift in paradigm of thinking, a change in world leadership or are these all naive principles which are rather idealist and its better to get to work where we can make a change.


“Does the global economy need a value system and is social capitalism the answer? How do we put human beings at the center of development policy and practice? What should the role of corporations be in promoting social capitalism?” From a forum discussing the pros and cons of Social Capitalism.

I still sometimes cringe at the world “Capitalism” for I cannot make up my mind about its merits. Time and again it’s been proven that “Capitalism is a far better alternative than Socialistic governance. I want to believe that there is a much higher motive than monetary capital that drives even the “Social Capitalists”

Here is a list of some organizations that are doing some grass root level work in the world.

http://www.fastcompany.com/social/

In general I admire the work these organizations perform. They are a drop in the movement of change but at least there are out there. They have the courage to do something. Many of us are compassionate people, we want to participate, we want to contribute but very few of us take more than couple of steps towards a cause. We shell a couple hundred dollars yearly to some of these organizations and feel good.

On one hand when I do this I feel am just sweeping my guilt under the carpet and other times I think at least its a couple hundred dollars and with little from many you can have a substantial amount. Why should I feel bad? At least I did something. Should you and I who are only passive donors do more?

What would you do if you had some unlimited resources at your disposal?

On the other hand would a model where a corporation dives into this arena of Social change, expect a value for its shareholders. I felt nothing but shock one day when the chairman of a ex-employer explained why he was cutting some programs which helped local schools here in Oakland. His philosophy was “my alliance lies to the shareholders”, philanthropy is a personal goal and should not be corporate one. My heart sank. Is monetary capital the only capital in the world? What about social and human capital? Do we not have a vested interest in nurturing these? Does money have to be the only and primary outcome, even when the values are taken from the pages of social capitalism?

I’m just thinking….never mind.

So the wine I had was a wonderful Aussie Shiraz. Must note down the name.



Tags:

Comments are closed.