BootsnAll Travel Network



Planes, Trains, Automobiles

Back in Perth for just two days before i head to Adelaide. Was meant to go down to Margaret River and then get the train from Perth to Adelaide – a mammoth 39 hour journey on the train (with no sleeper cabin as its too pricey) – but i left it too late and would have waited till 16th of pril to get a ticket. So i spent the night in Freo (Fremantle to the uninitiated) which is just south of Perth and is an old historic port town. Very laid back (seems the whole of Oz is!), great night markets, cafe culture and alternative hostels.

So i spent the night trying to find a way to Adelaide. Not as boring as it sounds. It’s nice to be on the road, one has to be really flexible and relaxed because plans inevitably change (especially if like me you leave things to the last minute – thesis springing to mind, unsure why) and have to be modified to fit what other people are doing that you get along with. Only been here three weeks but already i feel i’ve settled into it more so than i had the first week.

So anyway, next i thought i could get a bus, but it seems i’m still thinking about space (thesis coming in handy again) and distance in a very British way. Would have taken about five days to get a bus there…and as far as i could tell there were no buses that travel those distances straight.

As a result i’ve had to book a flight. Didn’t cost too much, about 100 pounds. But sat at the computer last night with my finger over the confirm button for about half an hour (sorry parents, still not used to flying). Eventually decided it was the only way; i have five months in Oz before i fly to Malaysia and cannot afford another 10 days here.

So i’m currently in Perth (Northbridge to be exact) at a very nice hostel called the Witch’s Hat, really clean, nice wooden floors, big sofas, kind of like a really large house. Have some friends here who i met at Cottesloe i might head out with them tonight.

That’s all for now. Next stop is Adelaide. Apparently it’s cold there which i’m not happy about…my tan was just starting to make me look indian.



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “Planes, Trains, Automobiles”

  1. charlotte if you have forgotten says:

    Dave Dreyson says HHHHUUUUURRRRGGGHHHHHHH

  2. Trubsy says:

    Hey, how you doing? Paul Bourner also says HHHHUUUURRRRGGGGHHHH

  3. Trubsy says:

    Why is it claiming that I am in the Netherlands?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *