BootsnAll Travel Network



Scenic Highway Dunedin-Invercargill

After a few days of being lazy and checking out the museums of Dunedin, Naomi and I were more than ready to leave Dunedin.

We followed the brown sign with a squiggly mark on it that would lead us the more scenic route to the “southern most city in New Zealand” – Invercargill.  It followed the coast a bit through Kaka Point, where we had to stop and take photos of the sign for obvious reasons.  We then stopped at Nugget Point to walk to the lighthouse and look at the nugget shaped rocks that lied just past the coast.  We were high on a cliff but could still see baby seals playing with eachother andt he older ones lying on the rocks.

It started pissing down rain so the scenery wasn’t that great, though we were driving through forests and hilly pastures of cows and sheep.  We stumbled across a parked purple caravan called The Lost Gypsy Caravan so we went inside. The owner came out to greet us since Naomi was having a hard time parking and led us inside once the car was safely parked and turned off.  The man was clearly nuts-he’s an inventor of sorts, had wired up a bunch of toys all used on solar energy or wind-up mechanism.  What was also cool is that when we walked up, he was playing Ani Difranco’s Evolve album.  We played with his toys and kept on pressing the button that turned on the train that ran along a track thoughout the room.  The best way to describe this place is that it’s an electrical engineer’s playground, as all are invited to try out his inventions except for the ones on the fishing wired off shelves claiming “Do not touch-work in progress”.  We stayed for about an hour until the rain stopped so we could continue on to Invercargill.

Invercargill is, as the locals say, is “Invercargill”, when asked anything about the town, especially about its nightlife, or lack thereof.  We did nothing but sleep in Invercargill  and prepare ourselves for Stuart Island and the Rakiura Track-my first New Zealand tramp.  The next day we drove down to Bluff to take the ferry over to Stuart Island-the third island known for nonstop rain and kiwi birds.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *