BootsnAll Travel Network



Paihia and the Pickled Parrot pt dos

Anders was leaving for Auckland on Monday so Robyn, Jonas, and Ine went with him, cashing in on the free ride.  It was quite a show, since Anders’ car wasn’t really equipped with a boot and Robyn had three bags and Jonas had a tent and sleeping bag on top of his pack.  Everyone that was still at the hostel waited for them to leave to say goodbye and see if they would really all fit.  The back of the “clown car” was low to the ground as they drove away. 

Camelo, the Sweede born in Chile who spoke Spanish, Sweedish, and English; Chris, and I decided to go to Russel, the other port town on the bay.  I wanted to go to the beach and they wanted to get out of Paihia.  Americans Anna and Alyson from the hostel were heading there too, so we decided to make a group out of it.  We had to walk about half an hour to the beach, but it was well worth it.  The beach was secluded, with forest all around it and all you could see apart from the sea was islands.  It was beautiful!  We laid on the beach and when the water started getting rough, we all headed in to play in the waves.  I felt like a kid again and did not want to get out when everyone else did, but we were planning a feast for dinner and I was hungry.

We found some cheap avocadoes (they’re from New Zealand too) so the girls and I were going to make guacamole.  We went to the supermarket and picked up ingredients for a salad, guac, and toasties (grilled cheese) that Chris had plans for.  Alyson made a salad of lettuce, oranges, red onion, walnuts, and French dressing.  Anna mixed store bought salsa with the avos (actually really good) while I semi prepared the toasties while Chris cooked.  First he made some banana and peanut butter guys (Elvis style, Tennesse born Alyson told us), and then went crazy with the toasties.  He sauted some garlic, green pepper, and red onion to put in with the cheese.  It was so good.  He also made some with tuna as well (backpacker food staple), but of course, I didn’t have any of that.  It was nice to prepare a meal with people and to sit down to an actual meal.  It’s been a while. 

We decided that we wanted to drink so we sent the girls to get beer.  They’re 19 and 20 so they’re super excited to be able to purchase alcohol…Upon their return we found a deck of cards and started playing drinking games.  The cheap beer ($5.50 NZ a 6 pack) is only 4% alcohol, so we had to drink fast to feel anything, and it was a small buzz at that.  At 11 we took the rest of our beer down to the beach to finish it. 

The next day I felt so lazy, even though the sun was out.  I went to the beach around 10, hell bent on working on my tan since it was my last day in Paihia and I’m heading south after that (I’m guessing no more sunbathing).  I left the beach at 130 when Camilo and Chris came by with their lunches.  I went back with them to the hostel to have a lunch of avocadoes on toast.  Anna and Alyson were up so I went with them back to the beach where we all slept.  I got a nice burn, glad to have it, but sad it will be my last for a while.  I know I’ll loose my tan as quickly as I got it!  =(  We went back to the hostel, watched Kiss the Girls, Aladdin, and The Last Emperor.  I started dozing off during The Last Emperor, so I went to bed. 

Wednesday I checked out but hung out for a while since my bus back to Auckland wasn’t until 130.  The girls were taking the same bus back and Chris was looking to head north so we all went to the bus station together.  There were lots of hugs all around before we left the hostel.  I’ve never felt like part of a family at a hostel until here.  I may catch up with some of the people I met here later on in New Zealand or other  travels, and I know that I will remain in contact with them for years to come.  It’s tiny hostels or YHA for me from now on.  I slept most of the bus ride back and arrived in Auckland ready to leave, but my train ride to Wellington isn’t until 730 tomorrow.  Early night for me tonight!      



Tags:

2 responses to “Paihia and the Pickled Parrot pt dos”

  1. Emily says:

    I enjoy reading!

  2. Kim says:

    Me too!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *