BootsnAll Travel Network



Mykonos

The boat ride from Santorini to Mykonos was, well, interesting.  The wind was whipping dust all over the place, not to metnion the waves visible from the port.  I knew it was going to be a bumpy ride.  We sat down next to an Aussie couple from Melborne, so I began chatting to them right away, since it had only been 9 days since I had been in Australia.  Talking to eachother about Australia made all of us very homesick for the country and made Meghan want to go as well.  When the boat started rocking, Meghan got very quiet and looked at me with a desperate look.  I asked her if she wanted to kill me, but instead of answering, she grabbed the paper bag in the pocket in front of her.  People all around were trying to vomit silently into their bags, except for one guy a few rows in front of us.  He was the most obvious puker I have ever encountered-he kind of sounded like a motor that wouldn’t start!   You could hear many of the other passengers grabbing for their bags as he let everyone know how seasick he was.  The people who could stomach it were laughing along with the Loud Puker, who apparently felt much better as he laughed the loudest.  Meg and I were laughing too.

Once on dry land on Mykonos, we searched for a little white sign that said “Paradise Beach”, our accomodation for the island.  A bus took us and ten other people to the resort that seemed like it belonged in Cancun geared for uni-level spring breakers.  We found our room, which was no bigger than our two beds and a tiny dresser, and headed for Mykonos town, where we walked around and took photos of the tiny winding streets, its white and blue buildings, and windmills.  Of course we chased after and photographed the stray cats and dogs!  We bought a deck of playing cards and were hermits in our room while we could hear American, British, and Canadian college students getting wasted outside our room.  Not being massive drinkers, and older than most of the people we met, we figured that not participating wouldn’t have us missing out on Greek culture.

The next day we became professional “tanners” lathering up the oil and lying on the beach from ten in the morning to three in the afternoon.  We were both feeling crispy and wiped out from being in the sun for so long.  We napped a bit, then went for dinner in the complex.  We decided to sit in the posh area and have a drink; where we met Decklan from Ireland.  We made many references to being sisters throughout the entire conversation, so we were a little confused when he asked us if Mykonos was romantic.  Meg rubbed my arm, and said, “Oh yeah” and when he replied with some mumble about “Long distance relationships”, I laughed and said really loudly, “WE’RE SISTERS!”  He clearly thought we were lesbians, but once we clarified that we weren’t, it was really obvious he felt really stupid.  He didn’t hang out with us much longer after that.

The next day we took a ferry for the mainland ready for some Athenian adventures, where we sure had a few!



Tags:

One response to “Mykonos”

  1. courtney says:

    what a goof. you guys are clearly sisters! lol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *