BootsnAll Travel Network



From South to North in 36 Hours…

When I awoke I thumbed through my Lonely Planet wondering where my next destination would be.  I decided that none of the places between Greece and Czech Repubic sounded enticing to me, so I did some soul searching.  Where in Europe do I really want to go?  When I went to the toilet and looked in the mirror at my reflection, I got the answer: Scandanavia!  I couldnt be discriminated against for my blue eyes, blondge from the sun hair, and pasty skin there!  My mothers father was half Sweedish, half Norwegian, so I looked at the book.  Norway was my first decision, as a Kiwi told me that their Fiordland rivals New Zealands, and that so far is my favourite place in the world.  I decided that Denmark would be my second option, since it was still on the mainland and would be easiest to get to. 

When I arrived in Thessoloniki, I searched for an internet cafe.  I got a hotel owner to let me use his personal for 3 Euro an hour (ouch!) and looked at flights.  The cheapest I found from Thessoloniki was to Dortmund Germany and was in two hours.  I learned it was only a 30 minute cab ride from the hotel so I booked it and ran out of there to catch a cab.  As the cab driver raced through the streets, I got a huge smile on my face.  I was happy again-and thrilled to be traveling!

The flight was full of Germans, so even though its a foreign language, its one Im familair with, after studying it in grade school, and then meeting so many Germans in the last 5 months in Oz and New Zealand.  I was happy and when I arrived in Dortmund, I got to practice my German, and booked an overnight train to Copenhagen.  I found an internet cafe to waste my time in, since I had six hours, and Ive been here before in between flights-I already know theres not much to see.

Denmark here I come!!!



Tags:

3 responses to “From South to North in 36 Hours…”

  1. meg says:

    im jealous!!! i wanna go!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Erin says:

    Sounds like you made a good decision. A women always has to go with her gut…listen to yourself. I’m still enjoying your bloggs. Laura, thought you would like to know what little fish your cousins are…they are swimming like crazy….I think D’s favorite stroke is the breast stroke and B’s seems to be backstoke. What was yours?
    Continue to be well and safe!

  3. Aunt Kris says:

    Copenhagen is beautiful. I remember playing international bumper cars at the Tivoli. Take that in if you can. But, don’t kid yourself, the guys will hit on you there for the same reason!!!! I don’t think I would be comfortable in a Muslim country for all the reasons that you stated, not that anyone would hit on a fat old lady, but there is such a disrespect for women as human beings there. It’s the culture, not the religion that many western women find objectionable. I am one of them.
    You can take a train from Copenhagen to Stockholm, the train just gets put on a ferry to cross the water. You don’t even need to get off. It then takes a lovely wooded route through the bucolic countryside of Sweden. It’s quite nice, as I remember from the summer of 1968. We visited a Swedish frontier village from its past. It looked very much like an American frontier village. I hitch hiked in Sweden to Upsala and back with two other girls. That was my big adventure, nothing like yours. You go, girl.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *