BootsnAll Travel Network



Thai Cooking Class!

Today Jim and I partook in a cooking class through our guesthouse. (All the guesthouses around here organize cooking and trekking). Us and an Australian girl were first driven to a market where our teacher showed us a few things and we even tasted some things, like jackfruit and awesome fried bananas and sticky rice with banana and sweet potato.

Picture: The teacher showing me how to fry the spring rolls.

kotomato2.bmp

Tons’o’tomatoes at the market, which was huge and packed with people and foods.

Then we went to this nice open wooden house and started cookin’. We made Pad Thai, Green Curry with Pork, Tom Yum Soup, Bananas with Coconut Sauce, Sweet & Sour Pork, and Spring Rolls.

Me cooking.

First we pounded and pounded the ingredients for the curry with a mortar and pestle. For every dish, they prepared the ingredients and the cook made it before us. Each dish was quite easy and fast. We made the first three and then ate. Then the second three. We were SO STUFFED! We even got to bring it back to the hotel in containers. The spring rolls were fun because we made the stuffing and then rolled them up. All-in-all, I thought it was great and worth the price. It was such a nice atmosphere. The best part was seeing Jim in a chef’s hat, apron, jasmine flower necklace, and holding a basket. He won’t let me put up the picture. I have to admit, it’s not very flattering.

kofood2.JPG
Some of the dishes.

Me making bananas with coconut ice cream. My favorite thing about this picture is the calendar of the Thai PM in the background. That dude is everywhere. When you go to a movie, they play the Thai anthem and show pics of the guy and everyone stands up.

We learned a lot, but the most important was that you CANNOT use chinese ginger for Thai cooking, you have to use Thai ginger. I had no idea, I just used whatever ginger was at the supermarket. Silly me!

However, about an hour later, Jim and I were out and I had to basically run back to the hotel with some Bangkok Belly!!

Time’s up here at the internet cafe… see you later!



Tags:

3 responses to “Thai Cooking Class!”

  1. Leigh says:

    Oh my GOSH Kelly,

    I am in awe of all that you are seeing, all that you are experiencing. This is amazing stuff. I am so thankful that I’m able to “see” and “hear” about it online, on your blog! It’s quite amazing–I am glad that you’re enjoying yourself (despite the mosquitos and bumpy matresses). Reading books about these places only tells me so much. I need to TRAVEL! Thanks so much for sharing (as is my usual post).

    Oh that food! Heaven! And to see how creative those folks are, how they really work from their environment, and embrace what they have–we could all really learn a lot from that.

    What’s your next stop?

  2. kelly says:

    Hi Leigh!!! Thanks for the nice comments! I’m so glad you like my blog. I spent SO much time yesterday trying to put up those pics, only to see now that they are HUGE and i didn’t shrink them enugh!! argh!! anyway, tomorrow night we are taking a train to Bangkok then flying to Krabi, which is a beautiful beach place down south.

  3. Leigh says:

    Mmm. Beaches. Have a safe flight and fun in the sun! (:

    (p.s. your blowtorch comment made me chuckle) :oP