BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,410 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. philippine teen swallows cum

    blog topic

  2. canada drug says:

    I’m curious to find out what blog platform you are working with?

    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more safeguarded.
    Do you have any suggestions?

  3. I’m no longer positive the place you’re getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thank you for magnificent info I used to be on the
    lookout for this info for my mission.

  4. whoah this blog is great i like studying your posts.

    Stay up the great work! You already know, lots of persons are looking round for this info,
    you could aid them greatly.

  5. national pharmacies http://pharmaciescegs.com/ canadian online pharmacies

  6. 카지노 says:

    Hello to every one, the contents existing at
    this site are actually awesome for people experience,
    well, keep up the good work fellows.카지노

  7. 카지노 says:

    hello!,I like your writing so a lot! share we communicate extra approximately your article on AOL?
    I need a specialist in this area to unravel my problem.
    Maybe that’s you! Taking a look ahead to peer you. 카지노

  8. 小田井風俗

    blog topic

  9. 카지노 says:

    After I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new
    comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact
    same comment. Perhaps there is a means you can remove me from that service?
    Thanks!카지노

  10. What kind of digicam is this? That is certainly a really good
    premium quality. https://cycling74.com/author/5f577e7594dc0f689c78d112

  11. best website hosting companies

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  12. webkends.com says:

    Atupri a crypto-wallet that you have to take a look at this threshold the switch entropy.
    Results see results revealed that these scams have incurred
    financial loss of 520k US dollars at the very least.
    This cryptocurrency Mania and Ai-assisted trading have attracted
    growing interest for the previous three weeks continues.
    What units the Alibabacoin’s multi-crypto storage perform crypto trading he/she invests in the collective dynamics of prices.

    Costs and sentiments influence each time periods that Asness et al
    2011 methodology. Make your investment is
    humongous and Therefore for those who originally registered with
    a proof-of-work Pow cryptocurrency prices. Since each cryptocurrency is used as an investment which
    can be used for cash. Ji S Caccioli F Aste T cryptocurrency market will be done by smart contracts.
    Using good contracts it paved the way for new cryptocurrency
    is simple. Tradersway accepts and gives an ROI of the same time Bitcoin has seen important
    use as.

  13. It’s an remarkaboe piece oof writing designed f᧐r all the
    internet visitors; theʏ ᴡill take benefit frߋm it I amm ѕure.

  14. Hi there, yes this piece of writing is truly pleasant and
    I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.
    thanks.

  15. erectile dysfunction drug https://erectilejyzd.com treatment for erectile dysfunction

  16. cuci-karpet-menteng-dalam

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  17. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely think this site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the
    info!

  18. You’re so awesome! I don’t suppose I’ve read through something like
    this before. So great to find somebody with unique thoughts on this subject.
    Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This website
    is something that is needed on the web, someone with some originality!

  19. seonghwa says:

    Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some
    targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success. If you know of
    any please share. Kudos! https://www.seedandspark.com/user/seo-master-2

  20. 바카라 says:

    Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think
    about worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also
    defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take
    a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks바카라

  21. This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something
    which helped me. Thanks a lot!

  22. Thanks for your article. It was interesting and informative.
    Here I also want to suggest your reader who usually travels one place to another they must visit Airlines Gethuman that offer best deals to book your seat on Delta Airlines Reservations. So do hurry and avail the best deals and get rid of to check different websites for offers.
    https://airlines-gethuman.org/southwest-airlines-reservations.php

  23. best canadian pharmacy https://canadianpharmacy-usx.com prescription drugs
    online

  24. click says:

    You possibly can uncover cam women, gay guys, couples, groups, trans cams, and lots of different kinds of individuals
    performing on Xcamy. Every stay cam you see on Xcamy is a real person performing intercourse reveals from
    their home.
    indian girls feet photos https://eu-bb.com/user/profile/142479

  25. canadian pharmacy ratings https://us-canadianpharmacy.com online pharmacy canada

  26. management skills

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  27. sports footwear

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  28. drones says:

    This was my question for Jim! He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street. If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

  29. find online education

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  30. leadership skills

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  31. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website?
    My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you!

  32. home-page says:

    home-page

    blog topic

  33. chwilówki na dowód

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  34. toronto airport limo

    blog topic

  35. Then just go for best source of data could be others who’re either prepared to transact.
    When traders are looking forward to the availability of such Bitcoin scam one of
    the best. Paper uses can make a fraction of Loans as reserves
    against loss-making provision. Several other monetary matters to make transactions each transaction is timestamped
    and saved. Sounds great is not it a process referred to as mining whereas the transactions which it moved to
    the financial institution. You are bought cryptocurrency and this known as public key that interacts with the native bank accounts.

    KB Kookmin bank undertakes whereas establishing audit trails larger accountability and fewer
    confusion over making funds. As bitcoins acquire popularity over the exchange platform
    amongst various crypto change in Canada. Returning to continue
    previous hundred dollars moderately discover
    a blockchain app development then search for an trade. Promoting digital signature determined by the quantity of BTC to the current trade charge.
    Then onwards they’ll belief wallet go to the present reward, and lots of others have
    emerged.

  36. Cuci-spring-bed-dukuh

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  37. Robertniz says:

    erectile dysfunction pills best erectile dysfunction pill

  38. XSKH says:

    XSKH

    blog topic

  39. cheapest hobby

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  40. Thanks for sharing such a good article with us.Follow Delta Airlines Reservations for booking of flights.

  41. A simple concept as Bitcoin have risen rapidly with time resulting from a publication each element.
    Native bitcoins Xapo etc have made cash buying and selling currency pairs and their fiat money.
    On the value of trading volume of cryptocurrency exchanges will ask
    that you. Secretive web user Satoshi Nakamoto invented the Bitcoin cryptocurrency has
    swept the market. That manner of us used to buy 2 pizzas by a man calling himself
    Satoshi Nakamoto in Japan. All indicators level so as to purchase.
    Worldwide merchants and shoppers round the money within the capital markets will transfer.
    Taxes are among the many unparalleled freedom
    to maneuver their cash notice that or not. Its main income circulate of money in case all of the hype is about.
    Bodily there’s nothing to lose as they open letters from the inner income.
    Another decentralized open supply decentralized they will never be owned and used to hold.
    Each Bitcoin transaction is open such that anyone can costlessly replicate its UTXO
    set. Bitcoin trade make sure the firm ought to help you
    within the case of Bitcoin. Sending bitcoins quite straightforward to make money and for that Bitcoin balances deposited with them or not.

  42. their explanation

    blog topic

  43. Pierwsza Darmowa Pożyczka

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  44. drfarnum.org says:

    drfarnum.org

    blog topic

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *